Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front disc brake conversion

Unhappy Front disc brake conversion

I have a 1970 Buick LeSabre and I have been researching converting the front and rear to disc brake. I want to do the front first and maybe the rear later (provided it is possible). I have been looking at different market that advertise conversion kits and I have also looked at junk yards for the new Roadmaster buick. I have taken measurement to see if the spindle and other item will fit from the late model Buick to the earlier model. Have anyone accomplish this and have there been problem afterwards?

disc brakes conversion

scarebird.com this guy sells the brackets and any spacers you need, Gives you a list of parts to buy used ,rebuilt or new. My disc conversion with all new or rebuilt was $350.00. Go to ebay for master and booster if you need one I purchased a chrome master with small scratch for$35.00 also chrome 7" dual booster for $45.00 the company selling tose is city Auto Glass out of Isanti Mn. Have fun

Smile Thanks you. . . sledhead, advice received.

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    scarebird.com this guy sells the brackets and any spacers you need, Gives you a list of parts to buy used ,rebuilt or new. My disc conversion with all new or rebuilt was $350.00. Go to ebay for master and booster if you need one I purchased a chrome master with small scratch for$35.00 also chrome 7" dual booster for $45.00 the company selling tose is city Auto Glass out of Isanti Mn. Have fun

Smile Thanks you.

Thanks you. . . .adviced received.

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post

thanks sled,

I gotta hit the 70s yard for the other pieces
    anything under a total of $500 is really doable
    Butch

I am just throwing this out there for additional research for your 'B' body application. In the case of '68-'72 'A' body spindles, a machining operation - specifically removing one specific part of a boss - is what separates original drum spindles from disc spindles. Since the drum spindles do not have this machining operation completed and the disc spindle do, if you can do this operation to your spindles (either yourself or with a machine shop), you may have a lot more of the parts already than you realize. I have known several persons doing this machining operation to their vehicles and reducting the parts required. This issue with the factory drum spindles that are able to be converted to disc spindles relatively easily is one of the best kept secrets of a drum-to-disc conversion in GM vehicles.

I know there are a lot more parts required for the complete conversion, but this may simplify part of the process. Also, I have seen several '70 Estate Wagons and Electras advertised for parts recently that had disc brakes.
    Last edited by Hawken; 02-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.

I got the Scarebird kit & found an 73 electra that has discs - like everybody else out here in Virginia, we gotta wait for the snow to
    melt before we can get back to our projects
    You could hang a side of beef in my garage
    took a front loader to make a path to my mailbox
    I do have a few indoor things to do, but nothing
    as fun as working on my Buicks

64 Wildcat
    64LeSabre
    Butch

So. . . are you saying that the parts off of the 73 worked on your 64? I need to check to see if the 73 will work for me. "Hawken" mentioned that the 70 Estate Wagons and Electra may work. Thanks Guss, !

Quote Originally Posted by WildKitty View Post
    I got the Scarebird kit & found an 73 electra that has discs - like everybody else out here in Virginia, we gotta wait for the snow to melt before we can get back to our projects
    You could hang a side of beef in my garage
    took a front loader to make a path to my mailbox
    I do have a few indoor things to do, but nothing
    as fun as working on my Buicks

64 Wildcat
    64LeSabre
    Butch

I think, if the estate wagon has 15" rims, the spindles will work on the 1970 LeSabre - I guess you could always email Scarebird and ask...

Why not just find a '70 that came from the factory with disk brakes and take everything you'd need from the donor car. You know it would be correct if it were all OE.