-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: points/ dwell ?

points/ dwell ?

I have a 41 buick special with a 248 ci dual carb engine , have adjusted points differently in the past and spark plug gap too .My question is points gap , spark plug gap , and what the dwell ends up being for the smoothes running combo . I am located in Michigan for reference . Thank you for responses

Points dwell

With timing set on the indicated mark using new points, the dwell should be 28-32 degrees. Best to start new points with 28 and as they break in will end up about 30 degrees.
    Using AC non resisitor plugs and copper wires as original .026 works well with the 41 engine.
    Carb and timing should be adjusted so exhaust is smooooth purr, and no occational pft-pft. A slightly richer mixture adjusting one screw at a time, and changing by small amounts can sometimes stop the pft.
    also if tappets are too tight they will also produce the pft-pft.
    Once all the above has been achieved, THEN the timing can be advanced a degree at a time until the pft-pft starts, then back off til it smooths back out.
    If using a vacuum gauge try for 18-20 inches if all it set correctly and idle speed of 450 rpm.

To adjust for the dual cabs try to get a gauge for syncronizing each carb so they are set exactly the same. If you need more info on this, let me know.
    Should be smooth as glass and idle at 4-5 miles an hour in third with no jerking.
    Last edited by Straight Eight; 09-02-2010 at 05:16 AM.

I will do that and check all that stuff too , my car has been wrecked for 4 years and now (with my 2 girls pushing me to fix it too) collecting body parts and other little things too . Done now and the other 2 classics I work on have points too ( 47 plymouth de luxe and my daily driver during nice weather 65 ford fairlane ) I have them tuned in nice with gap and dwell , plus the timing adjustment .Thank you for the input and will have results by this weekend .