Thread: ignition switch

ignition switch

how do you remove the whole thing i see the small hole which i presume you poke something into,the problem is that i have no key for this vehicle,have removed nearly everything else having a bit of a battle with the park brake cablebut i think i worked out how it comes out.

Locks are designed to allow cylinder removal only with the key inserted and turned on. Without a key, you may be able to 'pick' it into the open position so you can push in the pin. Otherwise the only option you have is to drill out the cylinder. Using a piece of wire, determine how deep the key would go into the lock. Then, start drilling into the center of the lock with a 1/8 bit to the depth of the key. Increase the size of the drill bit a little at a time until the cylinder releases and can be worked out of the housing. Usually you will reach a depth where the pins and springs just fall into the hole you've drilled. Then the cylinder can be pulled out.

i might be reaching with this," Have you thought of calling a locksmith?" A locksmith can cut you a key, without destroying your car.

I understand you need the correct key in the cylinder with the pin inserted in, and turn counterclockwise. Once it's in the correct slot it will pull out.
    YOu can find this inf in Service Manual 1963.

It would be nice to preserve the car.

for the parking brake, just set the brake, then use vice grips on the cable to keep it from slipping back thru the hole when you release the brake - release the brake and slip the cable end out of the eyelet.

a lot of the 64s have the same cutting on the ignition key; my LeSabre key will work in the Wildcat -
    go to local hardware store that cuts keys, have em look up the key blank. take it home, rub the channel with crayon, insert into the lock and wiggle it back and forth to get the impression on the wax (crayon). use a small file and file out the pin impressions (or inbetween- I forget)
    OR - take the whole dash to a locksmith shop and they can pick the lock AND make you a key

Red face no keys

I too had the same problem. I took the trunk lock into a locksmith thinking he was gone to pick it and make a key. He goes in the back and gets a coffee can of old buick GM keys and starts trying, after a while he found one that fits and made a copy for me. Often the trunk fits the glove box, the doors fit the ignition. In the 50's they only had about 50 key blanks, I am sure years later that changed.

Take something in any have a key fit, it would be a lot cheaper than having a guy come out or drilling the lock.

joe