Thread: 1939 buick steering

1939 buick steering

I have alot of "play" in the steering with my 39 special. Can anyone tell we where to start looking and checking? I have heard everything from bushings to fluid level in the breaks. Can someone narrow it down a bit?
    Thanks guys.

Fluid level in the brakes??? OK. Rope in a buddy; crawl under the car. Have the buddy work the wheel back and forth through the free play while you look at all of the tie rod ends and levers that make up the steering system. If one component is moving and the next in line is not you have found a culprit. Make note of what's tight and what's not. Replace loose items. When they're all tight check the steering box. Check all bolts that mount the steering box and/or idler arms. All boxes have a certain amount of adjustment to take slack out of the gearing. You'll have to consult a manual to see where these are. Adjust as needed. Lube everything. Drive away.

Play in steering

The first thing to do is inspection. You will need a helper, a flashlight and a creeper. Have the helper turn the steering wheel back and forth maybe 5 or 6 inches and start inspecting every joint. The transaction of movement at joints should be sharp and crisp. If the movement is sloppy and if you can see wigglying then the joint should be replaced. Look at all the movement of joints (both left and right sides) all the way to the back of the front wheels. Look at the arm that is attached to the bottom of the steering gear. It is a spline fit and over the years it can get worn and loose.

Next you should inspect the king pins. Jack up a front wheel just high enough to get it off the ground. Then have a helper insert a pry bar or a shovel really works well, under the bottom of the tire and pry up, keep prying up and releasing. Inspect the back of the suspension where the wheel turns left and right. You are looking again for wiggle movement in the pivot area. The king pins work just like the hinge on a door. If there is any movement from this prying action the king pins should be replaced.

The steering gear can also be inspected using the same movement of 5 or 6 inches back and forth. When the input shaft turns the output shaft should turn immediately. This is harder to inspect, sometimes if you can get a hand on each piece you can identify "slack" in the steering gear. There are adjustments that can be done to tighten up the gear.

Did I leave something out?

SORRY I MENT THE FLUID IN THE SHOCKS. NOT SURE HOW THAT WOULD AFFECT THINGS BUT THE MANUAL SAID IT WAS IMPORTANT. I WILL START WITH WHAT YOU SAID AND LET YOU KNOW. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I LOVE DRIVING THE CAR AND WANT TO GET THING RIGHT.
    THANKS AGAIN. DUBBS

Thanks suntreemcanic, i will try all of the above.