Thread: Hello

Hello

Hi there, my name is Tom. With spring time coming, I am planning on getting my 1979 Electra Limited up to snuff. This is going to be my summer cruiser and a keeper for the long haul.

I am looking for a few things for it, which I figured all you Buick experts may be able to help me with.

-Rear window, preferably with rear-defrost
    -Passenger side-view mirror.
    -Ashtray, green.
    -Hubcaps (currently have Ford torino ones on there)
    -AM/FM CB or 8 track.

Other than that, the car's pretty clean and solid. Still black underneath, not rusty. There's one hole in the door and some surface on the back quarters, but just little paint chips really.

The car's been in the area all its life and has a documented 90,000 miles. I bought it for $500 from my best friend and plan on making it nice and near stock, with a couple custom touches.

Thanks everyone and God bless.
    -Tom

Also, I forgot to mention that I've been here before, but only briefly, so I thought I would introduce myself again. Also, the engine is a 350, but I was considering looking for a 455 to drop in, I haven't made up my mind and am open to input on that as well.

heh, i used to work in Sun Prairie.

sorry, i ain't got no parts for ya.

but I was considering looking for a 455 to drop in

i don't think the 79 Electra is anywhere near a collectable so keeping it "factory stock" really isn't a consideration.

if you put in a big block you'll need to get a big block fan shroud ( which may be difficult, as the introduction of this body style/size in 1977 coincided with the cancellation of the big block engines ... i suppose you could try the shroud for a 403? ) and new engine mounts + frame pads.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

My mom works at Cheeseman in Sun Prairie. I know that these cars were post big-block and what it would entail. I am not sure if I'm wanting to take that big of a task on when the motor's as good as it is. I did a 235/3 on the tree to a 283/TH400 on a 58 delray once and it was a pain for a kid to do (I was 17 then, 19 now)

Maybe I'll just let this engine go while it can and maybe just replace it with a 350 again, not that tough to get. I know the car isn't overly collectable, but the price was right and the car's clean and I was able to save it from a fate of big rims, sub-woofers, or fuzzy interior and hydraulics.