- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: engine ID number

engine ID number

New to this site and to buicks, but want to put a nailhead in a street rod. Got a lead on engine ID # LK1194226. From this site it appears to be a 1965 401, but I cannot find an LK, only LR. Is there an LK id number? Also, what trans would have been standard with this engine?

LK is the code for a 1965 one barrel Buick 226 V6 export engine with low compression (7.6:1).
    Last edited by Dr. Frankenbuick; 01-16-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Dr, i should hope he's not confusing a 6cyl with a Nailhead.

also, this looks like it may be a casting number to me.

Paul
    have you seen this engine for yourself or are you depending on the seller to describe it?

here is how to find the numbers:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_where

you can decode 1963-66 Nailheads on this page:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_63-75
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Id # lk 1194226

Did not see the motor myself, but had a semi engine head friend look at it. It is definitely a nailhead v8 with four barrel carb. The castin number on the back of the block is barely legible, but the last numbers appear to be 05. My buddy says the trans looks like a cast iron powerglide. Did buick use a powerglide in 1965? I'm thinking the LK is actually an LR but it's an eight hour ride for me to find out.

Paulws, previous posts provide good info. To be more specific in helping you determine what you are considering, click on reference in the gray toolbar,scroll to "Buick Engine Identification" find the entry called "by the numbers" you will see 3 separate groupings for the nailhead years which in total cover 1953 through 1966. The nailheads of interest are noted with an asterisk. The code you are looking for starts with 2 letters and is followed by some numbers, (4) I think. This is the engine code you want. The long series of numbers is the vehicle serial number and of no value for identifying what engine you have. This code is stamped on the machined valley surface at the front of the engine. There is an engine called a "baby nailhead" that can be confused with the "real" nailhead. A picture of the alpha-numeric code on the valley will allow you to accurately research the reference material and may save you some grief. Nothing wrong with a baby nailhead as long as you know what you are getting. (small cubic inches, no or minimal speed parts) Good luck

Arrow Nail Head

Have requested engine and part availability from M7M's in Stafford and Brandywine auto Parts in MD.
    Craig

LR is coded for the 401 in 65 L is 65 R means the model of car

the LR code is out of a 1965 Skylark Gran Sport.... thats a hard engine to find...

Paul,

The nailhead engine has some external items that make it easy to identlify as a nailhead before you start trying to indentify what year and model it came from.

• The distributor is in the rear.
    • There's an external water crossover pipe that connects the heads.
    • The surface of the head where the valve cover sits is perfectly horizontal (90* to the axis of the crank and cam pulleys,)
    • The exhaust manifolds are unique to any other V8 - the exhaust port/intake port arrange is is EIEIIEIE.
    The attached picture shows the uniqueness of the nailhead exhaust manifold. Some may be shaped differently, but the port locations are the same.

Ed