Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 54 manual to power steering swap

54 manual to power steering swap

I want to convert my ’54 Special regular steering to power steering. I have several ‘54 Roadmaster parts cars with power steering so would like to use one of the units out of them. My question is will the power steering gear assembly from a 1954 50/70 interchange with a non power steering gear assembly on a 1954 40/60. I can't find a complete assembly listed in the Master parts book, just parts of it. My Hollander shows different numbers. If there is indeed a difference, does anyone know what the difference is. Has anyone ever done this swap. I understand that the shaft from the steering wheel on the 57/70 is longer but I should not need to use it, should I?
    Last edited by MrEarl; 12-12-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Lamar in Athens, Georgia BCA 39474

Join us on the '54 Buick Highway at
    http://www.1954buick.com

1954 BUICK "THE BEAUTIFUL BUY"

1954 Roadmaster 76R 2 dr ht, DoraB
    1954 Roadmaster 72R 4 dr, Buttercup, Dakota, BlueBelle, Virginia, Marietta, High Society
    1954 Special 41D 4 dr Blue Bird (daily driver)
    1954 Special 46R 2 dr ht TEXAS PETE
    1954 Century 66R 2 dr ht 3 speed 54Muscle

PS Conversion

Unfortunately, the shaft on a '54 is part of the steering box and goes up to the wheel uninterupted. The 50/70 shaft is most likely longer than the 40/60 shaft. So, unfortunately, yes, you do have to use the shaft.

An easier way to convert it would be to find a '56 40/60 parts car and swap the complete system over. In the '56 cars, the steering column is coupled to the box with a rag joint and is a whole heck of a lot easier to handle--especially if you're trying to install it with the engine in the car. If you go this way, don't forget to grab the center link and the driver side vent box as they are different on a power steering car. Everything should bolt up in a '54 without modification.

We have a '54 Special. After a good deal of searching I've got the parts to convert to power steering. Yes, the shaft is part of the gear box, and it looks tricky to install. I am apprehensive that I may have to have the shaft shortened to make the assembly fit.
    I too will be interested to hear if anyone has done this.
    When I get further into this project I'll make a report.
    It has been many many years since I last worked on a car in any serious way, so it will be a real adventure.
    BobandMuruel

Thanks for the input 5ft20. This is getting more and more complicated. In addition to all the gear box worries there is also the fact that the power steering pump will have to be driven by a belt...duhuh And my Special has only a single pulley coming of the crankshaft. And it is just that a pulley, not a harmonic balancer. So in addition to figuring out the gearbox concerns, I must also figure out what I am going to do about this.

BobandMuriel, it is good to know that misery loves company and I am not in this all alone. So since you have all your parts, how did you deal with the pulley issue?

I'm beginning to think the Armstrong Steering is not that bad after all.

1954 Roadmaster 72R 4 dr, Buttercup, Dakota, BlueBelle, Virginia, Marietta, High Society

Power steering pully

I found a pully with a double track..the second will drive the power steering pump. Whatever car you get the gears from will have the double track pully
    I am not familiar with the other system you mentioned...is this an aftermarket product? is there a website?
    BobandMuriel

Armstrong Steering....sorry, it's a pun used for non power steering cars that made ones "arms strong".

and actually, with correctly inflated and full depth tread 7.60 wide bias ply tires turning on the pavement it isn't all that bad.

Thing is not many Specials w/264's came with the power steering. Century's 322's would have a harmonic balancer.

I don't know....I have until spring to figure it out.

p.s. swap

The balancer off of a 322 will bolt up to the 264 no problem--as will the water pump pully. I converted my '56 Special to power steering and it was no big deal. On a '54 or '55 car the '56 parts are easier to swap in, but the earlier parts will work as well.

Happy holidaze and good luck!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by fivefoot20 View Post
    The balancer off of a 322 will bolt up to the 264 no problem--as will the water pump pully. I converted my '56 Special to power steering and it was no big deal. On a '54 or '55 car the '56 parts are easier to swap in, but the earlier parts will work as well.

Happy holidaze and good luck!

Chris
    It will bolt up alright, but the engine will be severely out of balance. The 322 and the 264 are both externally balanced, but balanced differently. You cannot swap the front balancer or pulley; or swap the flywheels between the two engines. All engines in 56 were 322 and balanced the same.
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by 322bnh View Post
    It will bolt up alright, but the engine will be severely out of balance. The 322 and the 264 are both externally balanced, but balanced differently. You cannot swap the front balancer or pulley; or swap the flywheels between the two engines. All engines in 56 were 322 and balanced the same.
    Willie
    That's funny, the 322 balancer has been on my '55 Special with a 264 for over ten years and around 50,000 miles with no ill effect. Hollanders lists the cranks and flywheels from '53 to '56 as fully interchangable except for different clutch sizes on the manual transmissions. You must be thinking of a different engine.

Quote Originally Posted by fivefoot20 View Post
    That's funny, the 322 balancer has been on my '55 Special with a 264 for over ten years and around 50,000 miles with no ill effect. Hollanders lists the cranks and flywheels from '53 to '56 as fully interchangable except for different clutch sizes on the manual transmissions. You must be thinking of a different engine.
    The cranks in 1955 are interchangeable but the Buick part book lists different part numbers for the flywheels on the 40 series vs the flywheels for the 50-60-70 series. Laying the parts (pulley/balancer and flywheel/flexplate <ignoring the clutch sizes>) side by side there are obvious visual differences in the weight distribution on the parts. If that 322 balancer is working for you, just keep using it. Probably one of those things that should not work but does.
    Willie