Thread: New w/ 66 Gran Sport and issues!

New w/ 66 Gran Sport and issues!

Hello. I am new to this board. I have been trying to decide what direction to go with my Gran Sport. It was my father's car back in "the day" and then sat for a long time until my uncle decided to remove it from the pasture and turn it into a drag car.

I got it from my uncle before he got too far.

Issues are the factory nailhead is long gone. The four speed is gone. The bucket seats are gone. The floor console is gone. It needs a bit more metal work done as the body and paint work done on it are good enough for a drag car...

What should I do? Do I go looking for the factory type stuff to go back stock? (The 4 in the floor and console seems to be pretty rare.)

Do I go ahead and set it up pro-touring like I planned when I was younger?

as the engine and trans are already missing, you'll never be able to make this "numbers matching" without falsifying stampings.

even if you fake the stampings, the stuff you'll have to look for to "fake" will probably be fairly rare ( and hence, expensive ) parts.

therefore, it's unlikely the car could ever be made to even approach breaking even dollar wise if you attempted a concours type restoration. so i have to recommend doing what makes you happy.

it's really too bad your uncle got rid of all that stuff. this wasn't a dual-quad car by any chance, was it?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I don't know. I'd have to ask my dad. My uncle didn't get rid of all that stuff. Back in those days my dad wasn't so worried about keeping things stock. The engine went out so he had it rebuilt. It wasn't right and he eventually sold it. He put in a SBC and sold that too along with the 4 speed. The car sat for years and someone stole the console and a few other things when I was a young teen.

I think I am first gonna see if I can track down the origional engine if it is still around. I doubt it is.

If not I don't know if I want to go with a Buick engine or maybe a SBC 400 or maybe a 500 inch Caddy.

I will likely keep the car anyway.

lots of aftermarket parts for the Caddy now.

of course, TA has received their first batch of aluminum blocks from the foundry and they are preparing for machining....

that would be expensive but they are supposed to top out over 573ci.

He put in a SBC and sold that too along with the 4 speed.

what did he do with the Nailhead bell housing? you might be able to get a little bit selling that.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

No telling. That one is long gone too.

Sad because the car was in great shape way back when. It just sat way too long. When the wheels were stolen they dropped the car onto the ground and my dad didn't do a good job correcting that issue.

I hate to play devils advocate lol but if your looking for a a great cruiser and don't mind toying with chevy motors, I have had excellent luck with my 5.3 and 6.0L swaps, the chevy lsx engines are inexpensive, durable, and have amazing power potentials! Plus they fit really well, auto and manual each have their pros for power, with a manual and a cam 500hp is very attainable or throw in a stocker and burn the hides while getting 20 on the highway.
    Put An LS1 in it and go!

I don't mind LS engines... I am planning a LS swap into my 92 Camaro.

I don't know if that is what I want for the Buick though. That seems kinda tame/refined for this car. I do have a 70 caddy engine and like was posted above, the aftermarket is getting better every day for them... I may go with that and back to a 4 speed...

I toy with the idea of a complete Chassis swap for it though if I can't get it "as stock" easily...

1966 grand sport

have some confidence you can find all the parts you need with some time and patience. i will give you a phone number, dale restoration parts 715 662 2140 shop 608 864 0304 mobile. tell him charles in oklahoma sent you. he has some 1966 grand sport motors last time i talked with him, worth a try.