From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: building/buying 350 - 455 performance engine

building/buying 350 - 455 performance engine

Hello Folks.
    I have a 1970 Buick LeSabre that I have rebuilt the stock engine and its running fine. My problem is that the engine needs more power and torque. My First though was to purchase a 350 or 455 block, put aluminum heads, performance cam, etc and build power. I am not a power builder and I am familiar with stocks and spec. Who do I go to for information to build or to purchase a QUALITY CRATE ENGINE for my car? I know that when you move from stock to performance there are lots of things to consider. I have building material on Chevy and Pontiac performance but nothing on Buick performance. Will I need to get a later block and will I need to consider changing tranny and other parts? ANY directions, advice, point of contact would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks. 70LeBuick.

PS . . . . as soon as I figure out how to, I will put da' Buick picture with the name. Happy New Year!

Here's a link to a good book that will help.

http://www.teambuick.com/reviews/sho.../cat/25/page/1

Remember, you can't beet the cubes. You might want to check the rear end ratio and lower it a bit. May cost some millage, but definitely is a boost to performance. If you stick with the 350, the first thing is to make sure it is in good condition. Have a compression test done. Have the distributor reworked by a performance person, and rework your exhaust to a high performance dual system.

Enjoy!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

i think there's a major Buick builder not too far from you. i'm not sure if Richard Lasseter builds his own or has somebody else do it but he would be able to hook you up:
    http://www.buickgsca.com/

Scotty Guadagno is a bit further down I-75, but he's got a reputation going back to the early 80's at least:
    http://www.scottysracingtechnology.com/index.html
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks 455 and BOB for the information. I am checking Amazon for the books and I am googleing the address to see if the shop is near me.

or this... hehe