Thread: What temp ?

Question What temp ?

Guys,
    I have a 400ci in my Le-sabre and i need to fit an electric fan and thermostatic switch. There are so many switches out there both adjustable and fixed that i don't know which to go for. Firtsly what temerature would you consider correct for the fan to switch on ? and do i go for the type that has a probe that tucks under the clamp and into the hose or would an "in-line" type be better where you cut a section out of the hose and connect either side of it ?

yours
    confused

I soldiered a bung into the lower radiator tank, and put a adjustable sensor in it. Have it adjusted to where my motor doesn't go over 180 - 190 degrees. This is in a 1933 Plymouth with a late model V8. Thought about putting one in my Buick this year. Right or wrong ? but that's the way I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Sabre68 View Post
    Guys,
    I have a 400ci in my Le-sabre and i need to fit an electric fan and thermostatic switch. There are so many switches out there both adjustable and fixed that i don't know which to go for. Firtsly what temerature would you consider correct for the fan to switch on ? and do i go for the type that has a probe that tucks under the clamp and into the hose or would an "in-line" type be better where you cut a section out of the hose and connect either side of it ?

yours
    confused
    195 is a good on point .. 175 off
    sensor should be in the intake manifold to read correct temps of block coolant .

most relays only need a ground contact to turn them on .. 1 extra wire to the top of the sensor then to toggle to ground will allow you to over ride the sensor and turn the fans on manualy any time if you like .

http://www.chevellecooling.com/m3_vi...CH%20FAN%20KIT

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Alumitech View Post
    195 is a good on point .. 175 off
    sensor should be in the intake manifold to read correct temps of block coolant .

Don
    I thought about that, but then the fan would run on the radiator if the thermostat was open or not. I watch my temperature gauge go up, then the thermostat will open and the temperature will drop back without the fan kicking on. If I set in traffic to long then the fan will run till I get moving then shut off, and all I have is the electric fan. The motor sits to low in the frame.