Thread: disc brake conversion kits

disc brake conversion kits

I'm looking to convert to front disc brakes for my 56 Special. Who supplies the kits?

I bought the kit from Scarebird http://www.scarebird.com/ but have not installed them yet.

1956 Buick Century Estate Wagon

I just got my kit from Scarebird for my 64 LeSabre. I was disappointed that they only listed ONE donor car for rotors, calipers, etc.

I was hoping I would have a list of donor cars to choose/find rotors from.

Everything is available from RockAuto and other suppliers, but I wanted to save a few bucks since I also want to do my 64 Wildcat.

Any insights appreciated

Scarebird brake conversion

I put the Scarebird conversion kit on my 62 Invicta convertible without any trouble at all using the parts listed in the instructions and the mounting kit. One thing they do not tell you is that you have to have the car realligned. The kit requires that the tie rod ends be lengthened to accomidate the offset created by the mounting plates.
    I also replaced the master cylinder with a dual piston type and the vaccum assist unit needed replacing as well. All together, just under $400 and well worth every penny. The car stops much better than with the old finned drums.
    By the way, I sold the finned drums to a hot rodder for $200 so I got half my money back for the conversion.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Thank You All for the info

I used the Scarebird kit on my 1955 Special and also installed a power booster. If you go to the blog section of this site you can see the pictures and read about the installation. On the 1955 the tie rods are not changed in any way.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

disc brakes

I also used Scarebird on my 1956 Buick Special added power brakes to firewall. Brake parts cheap Clearly Auto Parts .com I just picked up seals $1.95 wheel bearings $8.00 Brakerotors $8.00 pads $10.00 all for a 10 bolt gm rear axles You can't go Hoses $4.50 and rear brake to the bone yard at these prices. Also any one looking for Trans parts all makes go to Makco Distributing .com . Very good pricing and ship fast.
    Sure this helps someone out for parts chasing.

rcfryer from what year did you replace your master cylinder and booster. I been checking and i think the 67 booster and master would fit.

I have not started yet just gathering the info then I'll order parts everyone seems to like and use Scarebird

brake conersions

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stanikmas View Post
    I'm looking to convert to front disc brakes for my 56 Special. Who supplies the kits?
    Kanter has them with power booster kit as well expensive but worth it