263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold in Colorado..lets talk heat

cold in Colorado..lets talk heat

Ok, my 53 buick special has a dash not for the defrosters...they work...
    and a dash knob for heat...not working and another selector under the dash for extra heat...not working...which controls work the dash blower vs the under the seat system?

Your selector under the dash controls how hot the heat gets for both systems...it's connected to a coolant valve that's visible on the inside of the firewall. The knobs on the dash control the two fans--defroster and heater.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

IS it safe to assume that one shorted wire will cause the whole heating system to crap out?
    I heard the wire under the carpet to the passenger side usually goes...
    I gotta fix it, but it's too cold to get out there are look at it... it's like 8 here...
    I am in a Catch 22 for sure

A shorted wire will only cause one of your fans not to work, probably the one under the seat.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

No only if it could be warm enough to get me out to the garage and driveway to fix the heat.... my 53 buick barely fits in my 1 car garage built in 51...
    I can get in and outta the doors, barely...but forget workin on her in there

sigh...I fear I will be needing a wiring diagram for the heater system...
    I had my defroster working... I could hear the motor blowing....and even FEEL air coming out from the dash...I pulled the ash trays to look at the switch for the heater on the dash and when pokin around at the wiring, checking on the connections well, first it was hot...I burned a finger and then I got in there with a long screw driver to try and move the wires...check the connections...
    and low and behold a spark and puff of smoke and well, now I don't have a defroster....now I need a wiring diagram...
    I need to know how many heater motors there are...I know there is on under the seat...and the defroster motor as well...)(hopefully not cooked) is there another one in the dash?
    Final question....I see a heater line from the water pump to the fire wall, and one going under the car to the seat heater....the other two connections closest to the valve cover are looped....out and back into the firewall...
    Is this correct? I also noticed a valve on the water pump, I presume that this needs to be opened to allow coolant to flow to the heaters...

The heating section in the 1952 shop manual should be the same for the '53 Special.

Smile 53 Special Heating system

The 53 Buick Special with Dynaflow automatic transmission used a different hose routing system from the 1952 models with Dynaflow. The standard shift models were the same in regard to hose routing. On the 53 Special with Dynaflow, there is a hose that goes from the nipple below the thermostat ( this is the hottest water) to the heater core under the seat. The other nipple on the heater goes up to the firewall to the Ranco valve. Then a short "U" shaped hose goes from the Ranco valve to the defroster core. Finally there is a hose from the other side of the defroster core to the nipple on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side.

There are two nipples on the water pump. These connect to hoses that go to the transmission cooler mounted on the rear of the Dyanaflow.

If these are incorrectly connnected you may not cool the Dynaflow adequately and you may not get enough heat in the car.

There is one heater motor under the front seat and one for the defroster in the fresh air duct on the passenger side under the hood between the inner fender and the engine.

I should specify that I have the standard transmission....
    I think I may have blown a fuse for the defroster motor in my mucking about with the switch.....
    I will be looking at that tomorrow..

so the fuse box is described as on the back of the cowl...am I to assume it is behind the inspection plate on the drivers side of the fire wall?