Thread: 48 Roadmaster HELP

48 Roadmaster HELP

Hey all. I'm new to Team Buick and working on older cars (anything older than 72'). As my father used to say "If you were a mechanic you would starve!", so you could say I can do anything if given direction but trouble shooting is not my strong suite.
    I just inherited a 48 Roadmaster 71 (320-straight 8) and am slowly (very slowly) working my way through the engine and electrical in order to get it up and running, it hasnt run in at least 3 years but was run every month prior to that. It was garaged for the last 10 years so its in pretty good condition.
    While I was waiting 3 weeks for a new 12/6 2E style battery and a PwerGen alternator I changed the oil/filter element, flushed the tank (3 times) and fuel lines, cleaned (but not rebuilt) the carburetor, flushed the raidiator (not the entire cooling system).
    I tried to crank the car and got absolutly nothing! I know Im getting power through the solenoid (crossing the starting solenoid causes it to run but not crank so its probably froze), to all of the internal accessories/lights, and to the generator. What am I missing?
    Someone told me to make sure and check the carb starter switch (will do tomorrow) but I would think that the starter would at least engage if it was getting power.
    Any help would be appriciated!
    Thanks in advance.

48 Roadmaster help

Did you check the starter switch on the carb?

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I did check the starter switch on the carb. Its getting juice but the battery that I had was bad so it may not be enough to crank the starter or the fire the switch. I should know in a couple of days for sure once my new battery is charged up and ready to go. I am thinking of just replaceing the starter and/or starter selonoid for the 12 volt conversion. Do you know of any 12 volt starters that are compatable for the 48 roadmaster? I know that I can send mine away to have it rewound but It might be easier at this point to go with a later model GM starter thats compatible or even after market??????? I am going to keep all the original parts in case I want to go back to original some day but I just want to get it up and running now.

48 Roadmaster help

DON'T do it .......Keep it 6 volts.
    Six volt worked for years in all kinds of weather. Just make sure you have clean connections, and full size 6 volt cables, not 12 volt which are one half the size needed.

You are asking for trouble if you switch. Plus it's value as a keeper is reduced.

I am concerned about using it as a daily driver and keeping the 6 volt system ignition/starting/fuel systems. I am going to be using a 12/6 battery so I can keep all systems (except generator) original if I choose. The more I get into the car the more I see the difficulties with keeping it 6 volt as well as the associated costs. I will know more when I get a good battery in it and can figure out what state everything is in. That will ultimately determin which direction I go. What do you think about braking systems - Drum vs Disk upgrade? The entire brake system is shot and needs to be overhauled. I inhereted the car from my father and will never part with it so monetary value isnt my concern. Getting it up and running and having a dependable road trip vehicle are.

Quote Originally Posted by wbharris357 View Post
    I am concerned about using it as a daily driver and keeping the 6 volt system ignition/starting/fuel systems. I am going to be using a 12/6 battery so I can keep all systems (except generator) original if I choose. The more I get into the car the more I see the difficulties with keeping it 6 volt as well as the associated costs. I will know more when I get a good battery in it and can figure out what state everything is in. That will ultimately determin which direction I go. What do you think about braking systems - Drum vs Disk upgrade? The entire brake system is shot and needs to be overhauled. I inhereted the car from my father and will never part with it so monetary value isnt my concern. Getting it up and running and having a dependable road trip vehicle are.

My first Buick was a 50 sedanet, and my driver in 1959. I never even thought about changing it to 12 v. Buicks were known to be reliable long lasting cars, we never even questioned it, and mine never let me down. The only difference now is that they are a lot older, [like me] and they need tuning up. If you go thru the electrical system, do some rewiring where needed or replace the wiring harness,especially check grounding, and make sure it has good connections 6v will work fine. Same things needed if you go to 12v, but if you want a lot of 12v goodies then go ahead with a 12/6 see how it does. However on braking, from my experience with my 50, disc brakes are definitely the way to go.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 12-15-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks 39. Do you know of any good drum to disk brake conversion kits out there or did you just piece yours together? Did you go disk all the way around?

WB, I have a 39 Century, same brakes as yours, but havnt done discs yet. I,m thinking of doing front discs, using SCAREBIRD's brackets, and info. He makes nice brackets and you buy the parts from your local parts house. He supplies the parts list, with bracket, it all bolts together. I havnt investigated any farther but many here have used his brackets. check in search above.