From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Level Control

Level Control

I'm having a hard time finding the Level ride compressors that don't leak down for my 85 Riviera. That being said does anyone know of anyone who's rebuilding these? There are some businesses that rebuild the late 80's to early 90's compressors. For now I think I can rebuild mine for a airtight seal by just replacing some o rings. Sorry I'm going to manually ad air into the sytem and take the compressor out of the loop. Thanks
    -
    Jayson Pruitt ROA#3412
    Riviera Owners Association
    Technical Advisor 79-85
    Oil & Gas Minerals/Royalties www.royaltyminerals.com
    www.cardomain.com/id/sosuzguy
    1983 Riviera "Cole"
    1983 Riviera XX "Peter" 1 of 502
    1984 Riviera T-Type "Tina"
    1985 Riviera "Gray"

level compressor

Hi Jason: I'm having the same problem with my 83 park ave right now I'm replaceing the the air line from the comp. but i want to get the original comp. to work. Please let me know how you make out. By the way do you know where I pic-up a shop manual for this vehical? Thanks !!

Hello ___ You should be able to find a 1983 Buick Service Manual on ebay. I saw one online a few weeks ago. You can also check out Helms, search for them on the internet for a manual.

You should still be able to get the Electronic Level Control (ELC) air line tubing from Buick. It will have the correct type of fittings. Might be helpful to go ahead and buy an o-ring assortment kit from your local hardware or auto store and replace all the O-rings at each connection from the compressor back down to the shocks. These get old and will leak. A spray bottle of soapy water is good too for detecting leaks.

There is a company called Suncore who rebuilds compressors, but doesn't really advertise to rebuild ours from 79-85, however everything is the same except for the spring valvling arrangement inside the air dryers. You have to tell them to leave the valving and springs original. However I'm still waiting on mine to get returned back to me. I have the whole ELC section from the service manual scanned I can email to you till you can get a service manual.
    -
    Jayson Pruitt ROA#3412
    Technical Advisor 79-85
    1983 Riviera "Cole"
    1985 Riviera "Gray"

comp for 83 buick

That would be great Sosuzguy I would appreciate your e-mail till I can get a manual. Would you happen to have Suncores e-mail or web.By the way where are they loc? Thanks again please send me that e-mail !!

Hello _____

At the time I'm waiting on Suncore to call me back to tell me what they have done with my compressor for the last month. Hold on sending your compressor to them.... Do you even know for sure that your compressor needs repair? If you will send me a private message with your email address I can email you the ELC section, otherwise I can't send it through here, it's too big. I am still shocked no one in car hobby with 80's model cars from GM aren't needing their compressors rebuilt. I sure am not interested in manually adding air especially since the cars were engineered to work with the level ride system. http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/...feature17.html
    -
    Jayson Pruitt ROA#3412
    Technical Advisor 79-85
    1983 Riviera "Cole"
    1985 Riviera "Gray"

Jason,
    I am not sure what is involved with rebuilding the compressor. I will take a look in the service manual this weekend while I am replacing one of the front wheel bearings that has decided to get noisy The compressor on my Wife's car still works fine, the only issues we have had with the system is the shocks start leaking down after a while and the compressor runs more often. Right now everything is working fine so I will leave it alone.

Personally, I would see if you can find a good used compressor first, might be the easiest way to go. Any chance they are still available from GM new ? I will look up the part number in the morning and check.

I will also call a few buddies at the local used parts emporiums and see what is available used. Might be interesting to take one apart and see what is involved with rebuilding them, might be another sideline to get into
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

Bill, I've got MANY out of salvage here in Texas and most all of them will start leaking after you start to reuse them. I think they just need a bunch of o-rings replaced unless they have another failure. Thank you for checking and I'll wait to hear back from you. The big thing with the E-body cars is they require a different minimum air than another GM vehicles that used the same compressor. From what I can tell the only difference is the spring inside the dryer. I already have the 85 service manual scanned on ELC if you need it emailed to you. Thanks
    -
    Jayson Pruitt ROA#3412
    Technical Advisor 79-85
    1983 Riviera "Cole"
    1985 Riviera "Gray"

83 air suspension

Hi Bill: Thanks for your input maybe you can help sosuzguy and me. Thanks again !!

call DETROIT IRON see if they have the manual on cd

I have the one that ncludes ALL 1964 Buicks, and one for 1967 Chevys