Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 on the tree --> floor shifter, etc.

3 on the tree --> floor shifter, etc.

Okay, I have a 53 Buick Special 2 door hardtop with the straight 8 and 3 speed. This may sound bad but I am looking to put the shifter on the floor. Is there a kit that isn't made by "Mickey Mouse" and not be flimsy? I am planning to redo the dash with new knobs but keep the waterfall grill. I adore the steering wheel since it is as huge as my 58 Caddy's was.

I also still have the underseat heater. Shall I keep it or is it okay to take it out? I am in CO so it does get cold.

I sealed up the gas door on the side and want to run the tank filler through a tail light. Looking for a source for the hinge. My 58 Caddy had the same idea out the taillight. But that car is gone. Any idea for a pull up and out hinge?

Related to that, I am looking for a driver side rear quarter from taillight holes back about 8 inches rather than an entire rear quarter.

Thanks,

RSS

as far as I have heard, nobody is making a floor shifter for that type of trans [selector type]. Look here on the search button under 'floor shifters' or any titles about shifters and transmissions. Much has been written about this subject in several websites, so you will get a lot of info. I have a 5 speed selector type floorshift out of a japanese import,[cable shifter, smooth] which I am going to see if it can be adapted to shift the Buick trans , but havnt' got to it yet. You may look into that if you dont find anything. The column shift is unusual nowadays, floor shifts are common, and for me I would just use the stocker it goes with the steering wheel. [the underseat heater is great, you may havto overhaul it, they are even being installed in other cars by rodders. The tailite gas door sounds good, how bout a checking out the 56 chevy door. Buick Dashs are classic, let us know how your project is coming along.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 11-28-2009 at 12:12 PM.

I had a look at the 3 spd buick tranny, and the problem with changing to a floor shift is the way the two shift levers interact with each other. It is a very unusual pattern. It would be nice to find someone who has successfully built a floor shifter for it, maybe using some of the linkage salvaged from the column shifter.

The easy way is to find a three speed linkage from a buick motor installation from an early Chev pickup.. Mmmm... Maybe not that easy.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

floor shifter

Just a thought, how about a thirties Buick transmission top cover and shift lever? Just a bolt in?

standard transmissions Buick ,Olds,and Pontiac

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Eight View Post
    Just a thought, how about a thirties Buick transmission top cover and shift lever? Just a bolt in?
    nope, floorshift case has internal shift rails specific to work with the top. another note on these trans both small and large series, they are basically the same as used in Pontiacs, and Olds, except Buick is closed drive,torq tube type.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 11-29-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Torque tube ...

So I have to find a 53 Pontiac 3 speed to change the driveshaft and rearend to open? I assume they won't just bolt up.

RSS

Quote Originally Posted by roystacy View Post
    So I have to find a 53 Pontiac 3 speed to change the driveshaft and rearend to open? I assume they won't just bolt up.

RSS

'36 to '50,s Pontiac and Olds, trans are open drive will bolt up to Buick Special, and Supers. Installing an open drive rear end is kinda complex operation, you can find posts about that by using the search box located above .

And also you can adapt the pontiac, olds rear ends, and driveshafts. and use the 67 era chevy pickup rear torq arms.All of this doesnt just bolt on but I think it adapts reasonably well.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 04-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.

straight 8

Years ago, a friend of mine had a 1947 Roadmaster with a home fabricated floor shift. What the builder had done was build an adapter plate that bolted to the top of the Buick trans, with a hole cut in the center large enough to allow a 1939 ford floor shift tranny top to be bolted in the center. The Ford shift forks were cut off and the Buick forks were positioned and welded to the remaining stubs. The Buick rods and shift mechanisms were removed and the case holes were tapped and pipe plugs were installed. [I didn't say it would be easy]. Shifted just like this Guy does it-- Real smooth.
    Doug

When all else fails check out the HAMB.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=123830

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=346588

Also Buford26 covered it pretty well in this teambuick post
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?p=63830

and if you got the jack,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick...30110004r26227

I have both a Drag Fast and an Ansen shifter and am trying to figure out which to use in my future 54 hotrod project.
    Lamar in Athens, Georgia BCA 39474

Join us on the '54 Buick Highway at
    http://www.1954buick.com

1954 BUICK "THE BEAUTIFUL BUY"

1954 Roadmaster 76R 2 dr ht, DoraB
    1954 Roadmaster 72R 4 dr, Buttercup, Dakota, BlueBelle, Virginia, Marietta, High Society
    1954 Special 41D 4 dr Blue Bird (daily driver)
    1954 Special 46R 2 dr ht TEXAS PETE
    1954 Century 66R 2 dr ht 3 speed 54Muscle

Floor shift

You could just call Dave T. @ 763-427-3460 he prolly has Buick floor shift tranny's for sale that would fit by using your current trans tail shaft bolted to his older '36-'38 Spec, floor shifted trans. Or ask him for Greg's Phone # to buy the '36-'38 Olds open drive shaft floor shift trans I have, which has the same bolt pattern as your bellhousing. Open driveshaft mod needed for rearend. Upgrade would be Heavy duty Buick Trans, either factory floor shift or side shifted(read less exspensive) with a floor shift you talk Mr. Earl out of or make a floor shift after looking at the right 'Hamb' article, becuz it looks like storebought hardware stuff simple to make! Proof would be if we could talk someone into posting pics of ansen or dragfast shifters. Pleeeeeze!
    Last edited by 4076c; 01-08-2010 at 08:50 PM.