- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lowering options for my 53?

lowering options for my 53?

What are my options for lowering my 53?
    I know air bags would be ideal but I dont have any experience with them and hear they are expensive.
    If I cut the springs, how much do you cut off? is there anything else you have to do after you cut them?

air bags

I have a complete air bag system that I removed from my 57 special it includes everything you need to install in your car.I'm asking 850.00 for everything plus shipping
    Skip

Ive ordered a set of 3" drop springs from JAMCO.
    We'll see how they work out first.

do some looking on here...there is a post about how 79 el camino springs from NAPA will give you a 4 inch drop for 80 bucks

I saw that, but there are different part numbers for 79 elcamino springs and even if I used them, i would have to figure out how to get the front down 4".

If the 3" coils dont work out for my 53, ive got a 58 that i can always try them on.

my advice would be dropped spindles on the front...
    some guys have cut their springs...and added newer shocks inside the spring to improve ride quality...
    I would caution against just cutting springs...
    My 53 will most likely get bagged...
    just please remember, when you mod one thing, you have to adjust a plethora of other things...
    When I dropped my 51 truck with a dropped axle...I had to mod my pitman arm as the geometry had changed so drastically I could not turn the truck left...the pitman arm would smack on the tie rod...

As for part numbers and what not...I'd go with the v8 springs...
    if they do not work...I have always found NAPA to be a VERY good business in dealing with returns..

anybody do any playing around yet?? and i couldnt find any 3 inch drop spindles on the JAMCO site? i found 2.5 which i assume is what your talking about. and then what do you plan on doing with the rear?? coils, which jamco also sells??
    Last edited by giffer; 01-03-2010 at 07:21 PM.

DONT BUY FROM JAMCO!

They have horrible customer service, not to mention the fact that I ordered my springs almost 4 weeks ago and I still dont have them. They wont even return my phone or email messages to find out the status of my order.

I bought a set of 2in lowered springs for my 57 at Eaton spring. Ordered them wed received them following mon. I think chev trk rear coils will work in these buicks check out classic chev trk parts they have all kinds of lowered springs for the trks

long story short, Cut mine with a torch.

measure 10 x and cut once.

Ride quality is very similier, and the stance is perfect. Front was able to be aligned with no issues