From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: Engine Vibration

Engine Vibration

It's a long story for another time. Have a '34 ford that I put a Buick Turbo V6 in way back in 1982. (virgin metal and didn't want to cut the firewall). At the time I bought the engine complete (junk yard dog), and then proceded to rebuild it less the turbo top end. I installed an Edelbrock 4v intake with a small Carter AFB (Edelbrock).

At the time, I researched the Buick V6 and was told about the inherant vibration they had. AND was told to use the Buick V6 specific engine/trans mounts. (turbo 350 trans). And did so.

From day one the engine has had a vibration that at various road speeds and especially cruise speed really gets annoying. At one point in time I aquired a Buick service manual that offered a procedure of adding weights (GM offered them), to the auto flywheel to reduce the vibration. I did it and yes marginally it helped.

At this point in time, THEREFORE what is the issue here and how do I fix it??

OR do I get a later model, with the counter balance shaft and plug it in and go about my business?? My concern here is if I choose this route what motor do I select and will it be essentially plug and play e.g.: headers, alternator, aircon (vintage air after market), Edelbrock/Carter, and turbo 350 trans????

Sure would like some experienced input............jim

Jim - I know it is reaching, but I had a vibration in my dodge motor that made me thing I had a broken motor mount or a bad ball joint

turned out to be a lifter hanging up.

just a suggestion; see if you have the same compression on all 6 cylinders
    - I just read something on vibrations in my Buick cd manual - I'll look back and see if I can find it

If I was ABSOLUTELY sure that is was not a problem with some other part of the drive train, such as the driveshaft or pinion angle etc, and I was otherwise happy with the engine in all other respects. I would have the rotating assembly, including the damper and flexplate, rebalanced by a competent machine shop that has V-6 experience. I believe that there is more than one balancing formula for the various V6's. I rebuilt a mountain of these engines in the '90's and never ran into this problem. I would think it would be easier to fix what you have than go through all the monkey motion to put a later one in. I don't think any of the later one's will accept the th350 tranny. If one could be adapted I would think that I'd try to use all the factory stuff that they came with. The modern fuel injection and coil pack ignition are very reliable and economical to operate, not to mention probably more powerful. If the stock brackets could not be used it would probably be up to you to fabricate what you need. A call to the aftermarket suppliers would confirm or deny this. Getting a supercharged one out of a Riviera or Park Ave Ultra would be real trick and extra speedy without a lot of extra hassle, if you were to go the modern route.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRivy View Post
    Getting a supercharged one out of a Riviera or Park Ave Ultra would be real trick and extra speedy without a lot of extra hassle, if you were to go the modern route.
    You'd have to do a bit of work to convert these to a RWD setup.