From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: How much for those 300 V8 aluminum heads in the window?

How much for those 300 V8 aluminum heads in the window?

I have a set of 300 V8 aluminum heads from my 64 Skylark. I'm trying to decide if I should sell them or not. I've got an off of $125 for them.

Should I sell or wait for the market to "mature"?

Quote Originally Posted by skylark64 View Post
    I have a set of 300 V8 aluminum heads. I've got an offer of $125 for them.
    Should I sell or wait for the market to "mature"?

If 45 years is not mature enough, I don't know what is!

You could wait another 45 years and it will be an antique for sure, but by then it might only be used for a museum restoration to be shown to Extraterrestrial Dignitaries on how stupid we were to use fossil fuels as if there were no long lasting global consequences.

I'd get the buck twenty five today unless there was a fresh valve and guide job done on them, then I'd add the price of all of the work to the $125!

300 heads

i have a 63 skylark convertible if anyones looking 300 with the alumiun heads. the link shows the car and a few pictures of her shes not as bad as she looks.. make offer
    318 801 9750

http://www.tinafayscrafts.com/1963buickconvertible.html

as if there were no long lasting global consequences.

there aren't any lasting global consequences.

the earth has been cooling / flat in temp for 10 years now and the enviro loonies have no explanation for it. it contradicts ALL of their models and forecasts.

that's why they're trying to change the terminology to "Climate Change" instead of "Global Warming".

that's also why they spend so much time falsifying data.

I have a set of 300 V8 aluminum heads from my 64 Skylark. I'm trying to decide if I should sell them or not. I've got an off of $125 for them.

the problem for you is that Rover v8 heads will bolt up to any application that your 300ci heads will work on. and the Buick design Rover was in production up until 2004.

in fact if you want to maximize profit on your heads, advertise them on a Rover web site. they often use the 300ci heads and cranks to hop up their 3.5L / 215ci stuff.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

1963 buick skylark convertible

thx bob for the input.
    but i wouldnt sell just these heads alone .
    these are matching number heads and engine and a complete car..and not in bad shape i like the mid size vert i think someone would enjoy restoring her .what do you think ?
    Car Titles
    Car Title Service, Lost Title, Antique Titles, Project Titles, Truck Titles

are the 340s worth building

does anyone have any input on the 340 engine?
    i have ran many buick engine ,i do have a 71 455 if anyones looking .
    this guy that just bought the 66 skylark wants me to remove the 340 and replace it with a 350 chevy engine . but if the parts are a vailible i was thinking i might talk him into just hopping the old buick up !

i could take the 455 and rebuildthat but hes looking at trying to push over 400 hp so be relistic with me.
    Car Titles
    Car Title Service, Lost Title, Antique Titles, Project Titles, Truck Titles

the sad thing about the 340 is that it was two year only ( 1966-67 ) production. it's very similiar to the earlier/concurrent 215 and 300 and the later Rover but it is a taller deck height than any of them.

it shares deck with the 350, but Buick changed the valve order when they punched the block out to the 350 displacement so you can't use anything from the cam up in a 350 in an earlier block or vice versa.

all this is a long, round about way of saying that there is virtually nothing specifically designed for the 340.

you can get heads, cams, exhausts and other goodies from Rover guys. TA Performance has aluminum "rover style" heads in preproduction right now that you could use once they hit the street.

any intake would have to be custom built though.

i could take the 455 and rebuildthat but hes looking at trying to push over 400 hp so be relistic with me.

400hp would be childs play with the big block. an SBC has so much aftermarket that you might still be able to do that cheaper though.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Alluminum heads

Saw a set of 64 alluminum heads go for 300 on ebay.

$125 is a fair price - unless you have already had the heads fluxed and a valve job. there are a lot of concerns about aluminum heads; they could be tweaked (warped), requiring milling, electrolisis could have eaten out the water ports, the seats could be leaking.

I'd ask; why were the heads removed??? what's wrong with the rest of the 300? - how many miles?

I just did the heads (valves) on my 300, rebuilding the carb and putting it back together. then, if i decide to sell it (to drop the 455 in the LeSabre), I have a running 300/400t to sell as a package... and it won't be cheap...

dynodave

the 66/67 300's (not sure about the 65 iron head) use the same cast iron heads as the 340. They have the same size intake/exhaust valves and ports. The exhaust valves are 1.37 which, I believe, is the same as the 64 alumimum head, but the intake valves @1.81 and the intake ports are much larger. Although the cast iron 300/340 head has a much larger intake and flows better than the aluminum head, it still needs a lot of port work and a better shaped ( non-tuliped) valve to acheive good flow numbers. If you want to make good torque and especially good horsepower, the cylinder head is everthing and the intake is more important than the exhaust.