- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Engine Identification

Engine Identification

OK, just managed to clean the block off enough to see the casting number and to no surprise it doesn't match anything on the site. It is:

Block Casting No.: 1165752

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and love it. Tons of great info here! I have a couple old Chevy's, but finally got my dream car - '56 Buick Super Riviera!

Here's my predicament. I've checked the engine identification chart and other places and believe the engine in this car is actually a 1955 264, but want to be sure before I make any decisions on whether I want to keep it (if it's a 322, I would definitely keep it). Below are the engine, head and intake numbers:

Engine Serial No.:
    II046244 (I believe this is a 1955 264)

Head Casting Nos.:
    [Passenger side] 1166349-2 (comes back as 54-56 264/322)
    [Driver side] 1166349-10 (comes back as 54-56 264/322)

Intake Casting No.:
    1165308 S (comes back as 53-55 322 w/ 2bl)

The only number I'm completely unsure about is the engine serial number - it doesn't match up with anything on the identification charts. I found a thread (don't remember where) that leads me to believe it's a '55 264. Any assistance on positively identifying this engine that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I was also wondering what your opinions were regarding keeping and running a 264 in that car as opposed to putting a crate motor in.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Last edited by Hardtop_56; 11-17-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added Block Casting No.

Did you find the engine serial number as shown here:

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_where

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. I sure did. I found the serial number on the machined surface on the top outer edge of the left cylinder bank (II046244):

And the casting number behind the distributor at the back of the block (1165752):

I found a thread on the HAMB a while ago in which a guy had the same casting number and was experiencing the same difficulty in definitively identifying the engine. In that thread, a poster or two stated it was a 264, but there was still some debate. I guess the only way to really determine which it is by the bore size - is that correct?

I'm definitely getting a quick and dirty education on Nailheads in my first 72 hours of Buick ownership

Thanks,
    Mike

circle track and possibly drag strip tech crews often have a pneumatic tube that threads into your spark plug hole that will tell you approx what the displacement of the engine is.

other than that, yeah, you'll probably have to pull a head to verify the bore diameter.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

OK, that should make it a 1955 264. The serial numbers start at
    V720080-4 and end at V1460022-4
    Your las number is the 4 read it like V1104624-4 even though the V isn't there.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Excellent, thanks guys.

Does anybody have any thoughts about whether I should keep this engine in the car? Is a 264 too sluggish to have in this car or will it pull the car along just fine? I want to make sure the car can drive comfortably down the road without having peole tailgating and waving their fists at me. I have a 1950 Chevrolet with a 261 from a GMC truck that will do 65 all day, but that 'aint fast enough for Texans. I'm constantly getting people riding my bumper, dirty looks and obsence gestures when I drive that car - no respect!

Thanks again for the help - I can put that one to bed and move on to the next issue (whatever that may turn out to be).

Mike

Back when I 1st. got my '55 Special it had the 264 & 3 spd. manual trans. From the factory the rear gears were 3.90's. With the little 2 bbl. carb. it would cruise at 85MPH all day. The person that owned it before me (1959) was chased by the State Police in Ct. & clocked doing 125+MPH by the troopers behind him. They couldn't keep up. The only way they stopped him was he ran out of FUEL!!!! Spent time & a big fine. That's the way I came about the car, he sold it to me to help pay for his lawyers.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

I installed the stock 4 bbl carburetor and intake manifold from a 1955 Century on to my 1955 Special with the 264 cid engine and it gave the car more power. I also installed the Pertronix ignition system and that improved it more.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe