- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Need Crank Pulley

Need Crank Pulley

My 56 Special is still making its way to Australia and I am getting a bit impatient so thought I would start chasing a few bits n pieces. I am fitting power steering to the car and have all the bits except the correct crankshaft pulley. Additionally I am fitting Air Conditioning upon its arrival. Currently the car has a single belt and pulley so I need whatever crankshaft pulley that was fitted to cars that had both power steering and A/C.
    I have only seen photos of this car at this stage so I am a bit vague about what I need. I have the power steering pump but do I also need a tensioner pulley as well??

Any help would be appreciated.

Koala

Thumbs up

Power steering was a fairly common option in mid 50s Buicks. AC was pretty rare in 56. Finding a stock 56 Buick AC crank pulley will be very very difficult. Rather than searching for parts while the car in en route, suggest you search for literature so you know what you will need and what to look for: Buick or Chilton shop manuals etc. It is possible that the generator and power steering are run off the same belt with either the generator or PS bracket functioning as a tensioner. With a 53 year old car, it might be a good idea to wait and see what you really have on the engine, a lot can happen in that time, not all good, and not all stock. AC units back then tended to have idlers and tensioners that were set up to not engage the water pump pulley to reduce stresson the pump. You really need to research. I can tell you from personal experience that a 401 crank pulley will not bolt to your 322 vibration damper. It is completely different. Good luck, let us know what you learn/do.

koala level 1

lots of luck i have a3 grove pully on my 55 322 i run a powwrstearing pump on the left side factory position on the right i run a air cond pump with an altenator on the generator bracket all works fine the a/c unit is vintage air the alt is a single wire unit now for you and all others needing parts in sacramento calif,. call 916 381 5271 BUICK BONERY lots of parts and help . hope this helps tom

On my 55 Buick I used a pully and spacer from a power steering car to install A/C. Later when I wanted to add power steering I used a generator and power steering pump from a 55 - 59 Chevrolet. They bolt together as one unit and drive the pump from the generator.

You can see pictures and read a discription of this on my blog page on this site.

Te crank pullys are different but the one for the water pump is the same on 322, 364, 401 and 425 engines. I think later engines may be the same as I used a clutch fan for a Ford and it bolted right on.
    Last edited by Jim Carmichael; 11-18-2009 at 02:57 PM.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Thanks guys

It may be possible to run A/c from the same belt as the generator but until I get the car I won't really know. They probably had a 3 groove crankshaft pully on factory A/C equiped cars and I would really love to find one of these if they did.
    At a minimum I need a 2 groove pulley so that I can install the power steering.

Koala

It will probably be easiest to take yours and another with with the right sized groove and make the pulley.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Here's some options for you-

Get ahold of Rob (robsbuick) on V8Buick.com. He will make them for you out of aluminum. Crank pulleys are $90-$120, and water pump $90.

Or

http://www.hawaiiracing.com/?page=sh...f24a16ba36fed9&

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)