- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 57 dynaflow

Smile 57 dynaflow

Can anyone give a clue to the problem with my 57 dynaflow trans.New gaskets were installed by a transmision guy and trans installed but it will not change into low range even after shift linkages are adjusted as per shop manual.However when the trans is shifted into low manually it changes but when I accelerate hard to make it change it will not even after checking the accumulator rod adjustment.I note there is an oil leak in the gaskets in the front sections of the trans which is more prevalent when the trans is in low and the car is off the ground and the wheels are turning-my thoughts are that this oil leak may be causing the shift problem although I can not see exactly which of the first two gaskets is leaking.Any advice would be great as it aint no fun having to remove these heavy transmissions.

A "DynaFlow" transmission is ONLY a fluid coupling in "Drive" range. There are NO gears or gear CHANGING in DRIVE. Since the beginning of automatic transmissions all others have tried to copy the smoothness of the "DynaFlow". There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY by having any gear changes in ANY trans. that they can copy the "DynaFlow's" smoothness. The ONLY way to achieve any gear changes is by manually shifting through the gears. One caution, DO NOT SHIFT BETWEEN LOW & DRIVE WITH THE PEDAL TO THE METAL!!!!!! The only change you should feel is the switch pitch vanes going into "High Stall" when your foot is to the floor. Something is wrong with the high accumulator. Hope this helps.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Thanks for the info Tom.I note when I put the pedal to the metal there is very little change in engine revs,the vehicle just goes smoothly ahead whereas before the trans was repaired the engine revs increased considerably -which I presume meant the trans had changed into low range-until I reduced the revs at which the trans would shift back into drive.The problem may be in the accumulator on the left side which is attached to the pedal linkages maybe?