Thread: New 1970 Skylark owner

New 1970 Skylark owner

Hi! We just bought a 1970 Skylark convertible today and will be picking it up tomorrow. I've ran the decoders on the car, and the second and third numbers are 44. Skylark Custom....

What is the Skylark Custom? One decoder said the 44 means it had a 442 under the hood, but I'm researching the history on the Skylarks and they don't appear to have been produced with a 442, but rather a 350 or 455. The engine in the car is not original. It is a 350, but clearly not original.
    I'm sure the paint isn't original as yellow was a GSX color, and I don't believe I have good enough luck to find a GSX at an auction... also, the hood and grill are not correct for that car. However, it is possible it was wrecked in the past and needed a new front clip - which would explain the hood and wrong color (greenish blue) in the engine bay.

Can anyone help me out? I don't mind providing the full VIN. The first three numbers are 444

EDIT: I have since answered my own question. My next one is this: Is this car worth restoring? All the glass is in it, no body damage, the engine may actually BE original, as is the tranny.

Is the information that only 5000 1970 convertible Buick Skylark Customs were made correct? If so, would we be better off with a true restoration or a GSX tribute?

Sorry for the noob comment about the 442 and vin numbers earlier! I know Fords, hope no one holds that against me!

Last edited by Ghosthorse; 10-29-2009 at 01:05 PM.

the engine may actually BE original, as is the tranny.

that looks like a small black chevy, which i highly doubt to be original in a 1970 Buick. a Buick 350 will have the distributor at the front of the block.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_eng_visual.php

1970 doesn't code the engine in the VIN, so the only way to verify this would be to find the Engine Identification code and match the last 6 digits with the last six of the VIN.

If so, would we be better off with a true restoration or a GSX tribute?

probably as a GSX. Buicks don't get a whole lot of attention from the collector car crowd unless they are GS, GSX or Stage variations.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Nice looking car.

Bob is correct, you have a chevy engine in that car and it would not be original.

Also, the GSX option was not available on a convertible, but you could build a clone. The "custom" version you have is the nicer version of the Skylark and probably has more options. Like the power brakes, steering and A/C.

Is it worth restoring? All depends on what your goals are for the car. If investment is all you are interested in, then this car may not be the right one for you. But it would be a great car to fix up and drive.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Thank you guys for the information!

And yeah, folks just don't get real excited about Buick "Skylark". Throw in CS or CSX though, even if its a tribute/clone? Its a different story.

We'd probably try to go all the way and clone it if its in as good condition as represented - yes, we bought sight unseen, the pictures are from the salvage auction. (something we do from time to time - we have a small dealership and the less expensive classics and muscle cars are what we deal in)

The auction yard marketed it as having no damage at all. We will see.

As for it being investment or a keeper - We're looking at it as a keeper for a little while, then selling it after doing whatever it is we want to do with it. IF it is in good enough condition to clone, we'll go that route and even find a 455 and tranny for it. If the condition is poor, we'll do what we can with it, replace the interior, shine up the engine and take care of the squirrel's nest of wires under there, and sell it for whatever we can get out of it.

I may be picking some more brains here if I can't find information I need floating around on the internet... and I'm going to have to re-learn GM speak quickly!

Thanks again for the help!

Edit: So. No GSX convertible then. Which makes sense on a car that powerful. Which means these GSX convertibles I see for sale out and about on the net are clones - just not obviously MARKETED as such. Wonder how many folks think they've scored big time and find out later its not a true GSX? Yikes!
    Last edited by Ghosthorse; 10-30-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Glad to help any way I can. I have a bunch of 70-72 cars, so let me know if you need parts.

Correct, Buick didn't build a GSX convertible. They did build a GS convertible. GS was the power option, GSX was only a visual add on to the GS package. send me you VIN and I'll find out what else I can for you.

That car is nice looking, and has potential. Looks like incorrect front bumper for a 70, but the grill is correct. I just sold a 68 convertible project because I like the 70-72's better. Just have to find me a good deal on one.
    Mark
    carmantx@erfw.net
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Hey, thanks again! We picked it up yesterday, and unfortunately, we were NOT told about the rust and paint issues in advance, but its not big deal. Rust issues at the usual places on the front and back quarters, amateur fish-eyed paint, etc etc. My husband was so disgusted he didn't want to even consider working on it... but its ours now! Such is the hazard of buying sight unseen. I may beat him to death if he keeps doing that!

Anyway! I expected the rust, and expected to have to repaint it anyway to clone it properly. Once he cools off and gets some perspective on it, we'll tear into it and 'git er done'.

I'm PM the vin to you Monday - I have the vin at my office, and I'm too lazy to drive to the body shop and write it down again!