Thread: 68 Riviera Directional Switch Replacement

68 Riviera Directional Switch Replacement

I'm trying to replace the directional switch but I cannot remove the upper cover (where the switch is located). It's a tilt column. According to the the 1968 Buick Service manual (section 90-58 paragraph 4), you need to remove the upper steering column cover (the one that has the hazard warning switch, signal and tilt release levers). The manual references a special tool J-225989 to remove the cover but I cannot find one anywhere => I tried a wheel puller with the arms reversed to pull the cover off but it does not work - I stop using the puller when the inside lip of the cover started to turn outward. Has anyone ever replaced a 68 Riviera directional switch or where I can purchase that tool? (I have this question on 'idle chat', too.)

I found the J-22598 column cover tool on ebay. The cover came off within seconds of using the tool. Thanks to an older gentleman at Mars Auto Parts - probably one of the oldest parts store on Long Island, NY - telling me that 'J' tools used by General Motors was most likely made by Kent-Moore, was the information I was looking for to point me in the right direction in searching for the manufacturer of the tool.