Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc Brake donor for 64 Wildcat

Disc Brake donor for 64 Wildcat

anyone know if front disc brake setup from 77 vette would be a quick mod for the Wildcat...
    I had a complete list, but it is floating around somewhere on my old computer
    thanks
    Butch

No, the "Vette" will not work I believe. A more or less bolt-in swap would be from a '67-'70 full size Buick. Riv, Cat, Electra, LeSabre. Problem with '67-'69 is the 4 piston calipers & rotor availability. More than likely the calipers will need to be sleeved at about $80.00 perx8. The rotors are supposed to repro'd but are something like $250.00ea. +. 1970 has some hopes but again rotors are a rare bird at $200.00-$300.00 ea. IF you can find them. I did '70 stuff on my '64 Riv. back in the late 70's. Am very happy. Give Scarebird a try.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Thanks Tom

I just had the opportunity to take adantage of a parting out of the vette.

SOMEWHERE in all my Buick stuff is a complete list of donor cars and mods needed to swap the front drums to discs.

I just located a 70s muscle car junk yard, and the guy that owns it is supposed to know exactly what will, and will not, work on the 64 Buicks.

I plan to do both 64s, but since I have the front off the LeSabre, I'll do any experimenting on it.

Butch

Butch, I used to work at Saginaw Manufacturing as an electrician.
    We built most of the disc brakes for GM. I started working there in 1977. At that time we made only 3 disc brakes for all of GM. They were called a 12x1, for the Electra, Caddillac, Impala, 3/4 ton pickup, all the big boats. The next were the 11x1, 1/2 ton pickup, Chevelle, Skylark, GTO, all the mid size, then the last was the 10x1 which was the Camaro, firebird, you got the picture. I would check an old Electra, Caddy, or 3/4 ton pickup, but be sure to get the hole assembly including the booster and master cylinder. You will have to measure the distance between the A arms to make sure the different knuckle will fit. Good luck, hope this helps

60's Disc brake conversion

Bought a set brackets from scarebird for my 69 wildcat conv and they sent along a list of parts and part numbers for various manufacturers of parts you need for your application. Mine consisted of rotors and bearings, etc from 74 Rivera, caliper from 95 awd asto van and brake hose from 79 cadillac seville. It took about 3 hours to complete. I had to turn the hub centers to fit the stock buick rims.Give scarebird a call. Good luck sumner.

I'm looking for motor mount receivers for my 430 motor. Not the ones that go on the block, but the ones that go on the frame/k-member. Anybody???!!!!
    Last edited by Sumner Howard; 10-19-2009 at 07:28 PM.

60's Disc brake conversion

Bought a set brackets from scarebird for my 69 wildcat conv and they sent along a list of parts and part numbers for various manufacturers of parts you need for your application. Mine consisted of rotors and bearings, etc from 74 Rivera, caliper from 95 awd asto van and brake hose from 79 cadillac seville. It took about 3 hours to complete. I had to turn the hub centers to fit the stock buick rim. good luck sumner

I'm looking for motor mount receivers for my 430 motor. Not the ones that go on the block, but the ones that go on the frame/k-member. Anybody???!!!!

1987 Grand National (36K Un-Molested Stocker! - 2nd Owner)
    1966 Skylark GS (#'s Matching 401 Nailhead, 2spd Auto, Bench Seat, CA Black Plates)
    1964 Skylark (87 Buick 3.8 Turbo, 200R4, bucket seats, CA Black Plates (87' GN powered hybrid)

Thanks all,

I let a caddy slip thru my fingers, let it go for destruction derby
    I couldda brought a subframe from a camero, from oregon, but I didn't have access to a torch.

I'll try T/A for motor mounts, so the 455 will fit in the LeSabre.

soon as the rain quits, gonna tour the 70s yard for the components for the disc brakes.

the Wildcat 445 sailed thru inspection here in Va. I gotta drop the front bumper to get to the parking/turn signal lamp holders, bulbs won't stay in.
    will "borrow" the ones from the LeSabre and replace them later.

had all the sheet metal (doors, hood, trunk, front fenders) dipped so they are paint free. will lay out the doors and install the lectric window lifts while they are off the car. I promised my daughter suicide rear doors (4-dr HT) so will have a bit of work before putting the body back together. putting pnuematic lifters for trunk and hood as well, with lectric releases.

sometimes I get tired just thinking about the work involved

Anyone have a phone number for Scarebird? I want to order the setup from them, but I wanted the list of donor parts I need first. - I searched the whole web for an hour and NO phone number listed anywhere.
    thanks
    Butch

how bout rotors from 73 electra? that's coming up available next week.

why izzit the calipers from these donors wont work - hub/wheel clearance?
    tks