- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: another identification question from a newbie!

another identification question from a newbie!

I spotted an old buick in a field today and the owner let me take a closer look. I dont know Buicks very well but I sure like the Nailhead motors. He may let me pull the motor out but I wanted info before I made a deal with him! It has road master badges, 2 door coupe style and I think a 53-55 or close)
    The numbers I pulled of the passenger side of the motor say 1166349-12
    and the drivers side of the motor said 1168930.

Bare with me...I looked at the "reference section" on your site here and found both these numbers under chev truck and with 264/322 adjacent!

So my question is...which is it? 264 or 322 and why under chev truck?

Hope this is not a stupid question but Im confused! Anyone with knowledge?

why under chev truck?

because Chevy pickups in those years used Nailhead engines. Chevy didn't have an engine torquey enough to get the job done.

So my question is...which is it? 264 or 322

hard to tell without pulling a head. pretty much the only difference between a 322 and 264 is the bore diameter and piston width.

assuming the engine is original, it's almost certainly a 322. the 264 was only ever factory installed in the entry level Buick Specials.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/y...ine_specs.html
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/y...ine_specs.html
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The documentation and IDs on the early (264/322) is not as complete as the later years. If the engine is in a Roadmaster, I would say it is a 322. The 264s were used only in the 55 Specials. The reason you find reference to 322s in the Chev GMC truck area is because GM needed a high torque engine for the dump trucks and school busses. The 322s were found in trucks from 56 through 59. With the 322s, the later the engine the better. The 56s and later had a better vibration damper and the rods were the modern press type. The earlier 322 rods were bolted in at the pin. If the engine is not frozen, the differences are probably of no account,other than finding and paying for parts. Those who want to go fast cheap use small block Chevies. people who want something unique, neat, and conversation starters use nailheads. All nailheads are neat motors. Let us know what you find andwhat you do. Good luck.

I have a front engine dragster that was built in 1959 and ran a blown nailhead. (It now has a Chevy.) The guy that built it told me he used the 322 from the trucks because the comp ratio was a little lower than the car engines and was better suited for a blower engine.

Well thanks for the info fellas, I do agree with mottrodder that the nailhead engines are awesome looking no matter what cu they are. I will be putting it in my 1928 5 window coupe so it will be highly visible and more than enough power if its a 322! I also have a 51 Merc Flathead in my other 29 model A!
    Any parts ditributers that cater to nailheads or that seem to be the place to shop for rebuild or performance?

Me!!!!!!!!
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

cool...I'll let you know when I need stuff!Thanks

You can get all the traffic tickets you need with either a 264 or 322. Your car combo is probably an automatic (Dynaflow trans). If so you will probably want to go 4 speed. The starter motors on the 322s are unique. The nose piece is also unique, the 322s put the solenoid on the bottom. All nailhead starters are on the driver's side, If you have yours rebuilt, make sure you take it to someone you trust who won't lose it. You can't pick one up at the local Auto Zone! Google the following for info on parts and availability: transmissionadaptors.com (This is Bendtsens. Good products and service, not cheap) Egge and Kanter sell engine parts. "Parts Falcon" sells good engine parts and the prices are very competitive. call 800 756 1114. "partsdinosaur.com" sells a complete freeze plug set. They ship/deal only in the US. so you would have to go through a friend or family member to get the plugs. The set is high quality and complete. I had a 322 for a while and wrote down a lot of engine info on bits and pieces of paper and threw them in an envelope. When you get to the point you have specific questions on parts you can't find, get back on this site and ask. Keep us up to date on your progress.