Thread: Straight eight fuel pump

Straight eight fuel pump

Does anyone know where to purchase or make a seal for the arm of the fuel pump for a Straight Eight? My pump is leaking oil out of the weep hole. It was rebuilt about a year ago. I had some issuses with small oil leaks at the push rod cover, and the washers for the retaining bolts. I repaired them, and I still find oil along the ridge of the block where the oil pan mates. I finally found where its coming from, the weep hole on the fuel pump. it is a pain in the butt! I dislike this very much, does anyone have any solutions? Thanking you in advance, Anthony
    Buick Roadmaster
    Model 76S
    Anthony
    aka Straight80

fuel pump

You should be able to buy a kit from Old Car Parts in Duluth Mn for about $35.00

I'm pretty sure this is a quirk of the car, Anthony. I bought a rebuilt pump 3 and a half years ago...it leaked from the weephole after about 2 months. That one started making noise this year, so I bought another rebuilt from a different supplier...that one also took 2 months to leak, but now leaks much worse than the previous one! This is with as rebuilt engine...rebore, new rings, minimal blowby and oil contamination...uses almost zero oil ever! I barely even check it. Still leaks oil out that stinkin weep hole.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Smile Straight Eight fuel pump

Some old tyme mechanics put heavy grease in the pump chamber by the weep hole.
    There is a group out there using the 53 Special fuel pump with smaller weep hole, threading the two weep holes and plugging with set screws.'

Only mod appears to be the line connections .

The claim is long stroke, weak rings of the past, contribute to this by-pass leakage.

If all other vents are open should not be necessary for the pump weep hole to exist.

Intake vent drivers side below exhaust manifold should be cleaned every 5000 miles or so.

Oil filler cap should be washed out with solvent every oil change, and road draft tube should be clear and open, and should vent fumes at idle, but is ment to vent crankcase while the car is under way.

Straight Eight Fuel Pump

The oil fill cap is clear, it does smoke a little from the fill cap when idling. The road draft tube is also clear, the only thing I didn't check is the vent on the drivers side under the exhaust manifold. I guess I can check that first chance I get. It doesn't leak alot, just enough to get my attention! This engine was overhauled, and sat for a few years. I'm still breaking it in, it now has 1200 miles on it. I know one cylinder has rings that don't want to cooperate, but yet I get 100 lbs of compression across all eight. 100 lbs is good enough for me. I took the Buick on it's first 100 mile trip after putting it's new radials on. It did fine, although the engine was screaming at 68 MPH. I'm not use to that, because all my other cars have overdrive. Thanks for the come back guys, I was thinking of putting some grease and seel wool behind it in the weep hole. Whats your ideas about that? This way if the gas starts to bypass, it has a way out. And it won't go into the crankcase. Thank you again, Anthony
    Buick Roadmaster
    Model 76S
    Anthony
    aka Straight80