Thread: 1956 buick special

1956 buick special

does anyone know the number of splines on a 1956 rear axle? also number of splines on a 1964 riv rear axle? changing rear axle or 3rd member on my 1956. The carriers measure out the same. I still need to measure the dept and see if the spline are the same , I can turn down the 64 axles to use the 56 bearings if the axle length is the same between the 64 and the 56 axles. I know the bearing are very close but are different. This will save me from remounting the spring saddles and shock mounts. I plan on either a 4 link or ladder bars for rear suspension. I have found laddor bars very cheap used and plan on urethaine bushings instead of heim joints. If I use a 4 link I need to change exhaust routing because they will be in the way. I dont want to pull the 56 axles now because I can still drive it that is the reason for the 2 questions.

My '64 Riv. is 30 spline axles.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

On another thought. Get the whole Riv. & swap out the complete rears. Now you will have all the mounting brackets you need & a rear that was made for your larger car. I don't think you'll like the ride with urethane busings or heim joints. Use the stock Riv. stuff.
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

rear axle swap

thanks Tom for the info!!!!! 30 splines on axles .The riviera suspension was junk all rusted out. I had to remove all the rused out brackets from the housing . I was just looking for an easier way to make the rear axle swap. I am still going to check to see if the 64 center section and axles will work in the 56 housing. I purchased the used ladder bar yesterday CHEAP. I will change to urethane bushings this will make it simple to do.I would have prefered the 4 link but I would have to change exhaust pipe routing which is all new. I am trying to save a buck when I can. As you know it is not cheap to build a custom car. I have 3 months to do the rest of the body work and anything else I could get done, before we head south for the winter. 37 degrees here this morning. Thanks again

Do you make roller rockers for the 322 nailhead if so how much do they run. My engine is done and in but I know these help with the horse power. thanks jim
    Last edited by sledhead; 09-30-2009 at 06:35 AM.

My "Roller Rockers" fit ALL "NailHeads" Jim. As of now the price is $853.20. Once the 3rd. run is started I will have to get a new $$$$ quote.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

roller rockers

thanks Tom just inquiring now. needed to find out if they fit 322 will be more interested as the build goes along.

axle splines

1964 Riviera axle is 30 splines
    1956 axle is 33 and 1/2 shorter in length than 64 Riv axle Wheel bearing are larger on the 1956 axle
    I would need to have spacers made to use the 64 Riviera axles in the 56 housing if I can get spacer made Cheap, I may try to reuse 56 housing. diff is the same bolt pattern and use's the same mounting gaskets. I think there is enough room between axle shafts to use as is. Won't know for sure until I try it.

Thanks for all your help Tom!!

Just in case anyone would like to know.

Trans

I am picking up a 1991 700R4 trans this week, I may still change out the rear axle to get a deeper ratio 3.23 or 3.42 . I am using a manual switch for the lock out. I know I need to change a seleniod inside the pan plus some wiring in there needs changing as well. I will use a Bendstens adaptor kit, from everything I have read They work great. I put my triangulated 4 bar suspension together but not installed $200.00 for all the brackets ,ends, bushings and 1" drom tubing. Alot cheaper than TCI gets for theirs.

rear axle swap

I am in the process of getting a 10 bolt jimmy axle. I will either redrill axles for 5 on 5 or use wheel adaptors. Ratio is 3.42 whch will give me 2034 rpm at 70MPH and 1743 rpm at 60 MPH. This should work out well. Just finished with the rewire of the 700R4 to a one wire lockup. I plan on a dash switch to activate lockup and a relay wired into brake circuit to disengage when braking. Repalced all seals installed new filter, fluid. and is ready to go.