Thread: 1968 Rivi turn signal problem

1968 Rivi turn signal problem

My 68 Rivi w/tilt has non functional turn signals. I can push in the 4 way flasser and all lights work. The turn signal level does not engage but the light on either side does not turn on when I move the lever into position. I pulled the wheel today thinking I would see some broken plastic, nothing appeared to be broken. Pulling the lever up or down does not engage nor do the turn signals light. I'm not certain what to check next? Any help please.

Thumbs up things to check

so with the ignition in the on position(you can have the engine running or not)actually, do not have the engine running so you can hear the flasher. OK, so with the ignition on, hold the lever all the way up, then all the way down for at least 10-15 seconds each way. Does the dash indicator light come on? Do you hear the flasher flashing? If you can go into a garage or go in front of a building at night, or have someone tell you that when you are holding the signal arm down do the lights come on? If so, then you need a new flasher.
    Get back with the other test results.
    Hope this helps!
    Rob
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS

Nothing happens at all when I hold the turn signal lever up or down.No solid light or anything. The 4 way flasher works but not a thing on the turn. The previous owner mentioned that they use to work??? I didn't pay a lot of attention to his comment since it's usually something obvious like bad bulb or connection.
    I'm also kind of stumped on the fact that the lever doesn't hold in position, because when I pulled the steering wheel expecting to see broken plastic parts the switch looked intact to me.
    For now I would just like to get the lamps to turn on when I hold the lever up or down.

Smile 68 signal con't

Let's first address the signal staying 'on'. These are notoreous for breaking as yours is. The only way to fix that is to replace the whole switch. Do you have cornering lights? if you do , it takes a different switch than non-cornering light switch.

Now to the signals themselves. Check to make sure there is a flasher for the signals as well as a flasher for the hazzards(you say the hazzards work ok)just make sure you have 2 flashers down there by the fuse box---it wouldn't hurt to change that flasher to see if the signals start to work. Let me ask you this, do you have brake lights, then turn on the first pull on the light switch(this puts on your park lights)now do you still have brake lights? Now I want you to put on the hazzards and now press the brake pedal and hold it down, do all front and rear light stay on in the brightest possible way (the hazzards will stop blinking at this test with brake pedal depressed).

Let me know what happens with these tests and we'll will go from there.
    Rob
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1967 Riviera GS

Yes, all lights work normally as described. I need to check the flasher since you say there are two, one for the turns and one for the 4 way. I'm getting a flasher noise when the key is turned to on, not sure where it's coming from but definitely sounds like a flasher blinking, maybe the flasher is bad? Do they go bad like this? The noise will start every time I turn the key on, last for about 30-40 seconds, then stop.

Smile cont

change flasher and get back to me
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1967 Riviera GS

Replaced flasher and all is well.
    I decided to change a couple of bulbs while I was at it. Boy, the outer rear lamp is near impossible to get to.
    Now all I need to do is change the switch if I want the turn signal to hold in place.