From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Buick 38 BIG project

Buick 38 BIG project

Hello .
    I m a new user of this forum , my name is Philippe .
    I m from south of France , but I live in Canada ( Montreal ).
    In a few words , my driver is a Rambler 66 , and my big project is a rusty ( really rusty ) Buick 38 Coupe Business .

My Coupe is quite incomplete . Missing dash instruments , rockers , seats , steering wheel , wheels , front ( the nose ) , grille , head lights rear lights , bumpers , I ve cut the floor ( rust is not easy to weld ... ).
    The engine turn by hand , but is incomplete ( missing intake / exhaust, carb , starter , ignition ) and the 3 speed trans took so much water inside from years that even the gears are dead , so I gave both to a friend for a Ford 26 project . .

So it would be stupid to rebuild it as an original car ( according to me , but I m often naive ) , unless I have 25.000 to spend on it .

I had the chance to get an Olds delta 88 1979 for 80 $ CAD ( my RIP grand father s girl friend ) , with a 350 Rocket ( not the best year ,, but for this price .. ) , a TH 350 and a full tank of gas . So it seems I just payed the gas

I suppose you all guess what s gonna append ..
    Quite the same back plate size , not so far same driving shaft size , and a Rocket fits in a Coupe 38 , of course , even with a blower ( my dream ... )

I plan to begin the project next spring . I have the car for 1 1/2 years , but babies , job , new house .... So I really begin to search parts and ideas . I have 2 grille , one cost me 400 $ on eBay , the other 25 $ in Granby ...
    I have quite new front fenders from a 37 , and a 37 nose unusefull for now .
    New side hoods for 50 $ and so on .
    Rear lights will probabely be from a 403 Peugeot ( don t forget I m french

So now you may know a little who I am and what I do . Here comes the question

I want it as low as possible . So 3 inches ( legal here ), lower would be idiot , roads in Quebec are **** . . My knew suspensions are dead ( not a surprise .... )
    I ve been looking for a way to drop the front and in the same time swapping to disk brake ( of course my drums are also deads )

I ve seen
    http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ension_upgrade

and
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15749

but I don t see no where dropped spindles with a disk swap .

Fatman as dropped uprights , but just dropped . I mean keeping the drums and kingpin . their other solution is a sub frame , but for legal reasons, in Quebec , the car as to be inspected and a cutted / welded frame is no fun for the inspectors
    The last idea is bolting a Ford Aerostar front ( yes , it s bolted on the frame ) , and adding Ford ball joints on the 38 lower control arm .

Is there anyone building THE magic way :
    - 2 or 3 inches dropped uprights
    - disk brake

Thanks a lot, hoping my english is not so bad , remember I m french from Toulouse :P

A few pix :

Looks like lots of hotrod potential. Of course it would be nice if it was going to be a Buick engine

As far as low ride is concerned I think the best is air. You can ride low on good roads and high on poor ones.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I d like to install a Buick engine 455 with a Dyers blower :P . But money ....
    I think about air to drop, but I wonder what to do with my stock knee level shocks . They won t like a big drop ..
    I have the Olds engine , the trans and everything , so first step will be this way .
    It seems to me that once the car runs , changing the Olds on a 350 TH for a Buick should only be a 2 days job ( in fact 2 weeks cause I have young babies .... ) . It s my first street / hot rod project , let s be safe :P

But the goal is definitively hotrod .

Edit : of course air is one option , I think about a York , it s cheap and efficient .
    The trouble is that even without springs or shocks , the car is still much too high . That s why I look for a dropped spindle solution .
    Last edited by nali; 09-10-2009 at 11:43 PM.

I would get the nose on before you see how far you want to drop it, the nose drops down. Here is a shot of my 38 business coupe with 2 inch lowered springs. I could let you know how far the cross member and front panel are from the ground if you like. "I just went back and saw that you linked to a post that I put up. Here it is in the yard with 15 inch wheels a little lower."
    Last edited by Spud; 09-11-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Spud , in fact I ve found this forum after seeing pictures of your car , while I was looking for a lowered 38 with Google

I have a few questions for you ...
    After cutting the front spring , or using air bags , what appends to the level shocks ?
    I m afraid they move out of limits ...
    Doesn t this cause a too high camber ?

As you can see on pictures , I m far from driving the car
    But the first thing I plan to do is swapping the engine , so I have to decide what to do with my front ..

I d like to try on my car , but I don t have the nose . I have a 37 nose , it came with 2 front fenders I found for 250 $ ..
    And yes , I would really like to know how low is the car with 15 inches wheels :P
    Here , the miminum legal value is 3 inches , so it s important not to go lower . Atleast for the inspection ...

Thanks a lot .
    Phil

Sorry it took this long to get back, I drive truck and there are two days I can't even look in the garage. I run 215/70/15 tires on the front, and the lowest part of the a-frame is 5 1/4 off the ground a dropped spindle would put that at 3 1/4. I got two inch lowered springs from coilsprings .com, they will make what you want. That puts the nose at 5 1/2 off the ground, I don't want to go lower than that with the way driveways are around here. Shocks still work good. The camber I don't think is to bad haven't had it checked just got it on the road, but it handles good, had it up to 65 - 70 MPH and it fills good and stable. Any thing I can help with ask, car will look good.

If you change your mind about wanting to run a newer engine, and want to keep the '30s/40's look, I've got a buddy that has a good running '41 Pontiac Flathead 6 with a 3 speed manual still attached. Ran good when he pulled it out 3 weeks ago, 45 lbs oil pressure at idle, might need to clean up the valves and give it a carb rebuild, but it still runs fine as is.

He also has an extra complete '41 Flathead 6 with tranny to go with this one for parts (might actually run, not sure).

I know it's not a Buick, but at least it's not a Chevy

If you have any interest, let me know.

For sure it would be nice under the hood .
    One of the reasons why I plan to install an Olds V8 is that the whole donor car ( Delta 88 Holiday 1979 ) costed me just 80 $ CAD, with the tank full of gas , and I already have it .
    The back plate is quite the same as the Buick , the driving shaft may be installed as is , without cutting ( well , I ll see this later of course ) and the trans is a TH350 . Last thing , even if it look quite nice , the whole car is deadly rusty , and it s not worth spending money on it . Bad for it , but I can t save them all , not enough place or money

The other reason is that I like driving my cars . There are chances the Buick will be my driver each summers , when finished . So it seems that a 1979 engine / trans will cause me less trouble than a 1941 .

But for sure , it would look very nice and you re not so far from here :P
    Thanks .

I have a video of the engine on Youtube , but can t link it here ....
    Last edited by nali; 09-14-2009 at 08:04 PM.