- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 1936 Buick 90 Series differential

1936 Buick 90 Series differential

After a few months now repairing my 1936 Buick 90-Series rear axle / differential / torque tube i'm still searching some parts.
    Only thing what i'm looking for is supplyer for pinion side gear SHAFT, P# 971682 (1936-42 ; 60-80-90 series) and
    LOCK SKREW for shaft P# 970801. (Parts from 1929 "116" should fit also.)
    Bob's Automobilia & Buick Farm & Cars Inc. -> They dont have. Are there any others ???
    Thx,
    - Harry -

36 differential

I am not sure of this info and I dont have a 1936 parts manual to confirm it but my recollection is that series 90 had a different differential and axle than the other series . It was larger to carry the extra weight of the large car. If thats true it may be impossible to find the parts since so few series 90's were made. I would suggest first you start contacting the people listed in the buick club that have 1936's (all series) even if they dont have a series 90 they may know of other people with parts. Also check to see what other years will interchange to get more possiblities and call the people with the other years that will work. I know that is a lot of calling but if the parts are unique to series 90 it will take a lot of looking with no guarantee you will ever find it . If you find anything it will probably be a whole rear axle assembly. It is EXTREMELY unlikely you find any 1936 in a junk yard. The most likely source will be an individual who saved parts or has a parts car. In the next to worst case you can get the parts made at a truely frightening cost if the old ones are in good enough shape to get measurements off of. In the very worst case you might have to use a rear axle assembly from a Roadmaster which could probably be made to work and would stand up to moderate use. Buick didnt make a lot of changes in rear axles so you could probably use one from a roadmaster as late as 1956. It probably wont be a 'bolt in' but with modifications can be made to work. A good machine shop and welder can make any thing work if the width is close to the same. Buick was not noted for great differentials but the rear axles from the V-8's are probably a lot stronger than from your car since the later ones had to stand up to a lot more power than the straight 8's every thought about putting out. I had 1947 & 1948 buicks and differentials and axles failed with moderate mileage on them and even when new they tended to whine which got worse with use. We could always tell a buick was coming from the sound of the rear end so dont expect to be dead quiet even when repaired. Good luck

I haven't seen the parts, but if the shaft is a plain pinion shaft with a hole in the end for the lock screw, a machinist could make you one. Probably not too much money when you consider the time to find one.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

1936 Differential

I have a differential problem also with my 90. All I need is the ring and pinion. So the rear end will sit until I come up with I estimate 3k+ dollars to have them machined and assembled properly. It cost me about 500 dollars to make a small enclosed driveshaft with a carrier bearing to accept a slip joint, updated driveshaft and rearend. No major modification. The original rearend will go right back in after I remove brackets I made. Better than having it sit in the garage. I have been taking my children to and from school in it. It was either fix it or sell it.
    Last edited by 1936Limited; 09-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.