Thread: Converting 53 RM to convert

Converting 53 RM to convert

Playing around with the idea of converting 1953 Roadmaster 2 dr hardtop to a convert. Not looking for a "clone". This is a hotrod/lead sled of sorts. A good friend seems to recall someone that was doing this, using a top mech from later model vehicle. My question is has anyone seen this and what year/model donar would be best? Seems like some of the late 60's, early 70's would be about the right size? Thanks in advance.

First thing you need to do is see if the convertible and the hardtop use the same frame. Usually they don't. Convertibles need extra stiffness in the frame to compensate for losing the strength provided with a hardtop. In most cases that I've seen, if the top is cut off the frame can begin to sag in the middle which will eventually make it impossible to open the doors (or close them depending on the car). Be careful.

Yes, I build cars. I'm hoping for someone that can save me a lot of foot work finding the best donar top. Thanks.

I have a couple of friends that do what your suggesting fairly regularily, but on newer cars.

For those not familar with this type of project, convertible tops are fairly generic, in that the one being looked for would probably fit all GM in '53 and would be the same for a block of time like '53 to '57.

As one friend says, just don't stick your fingers in the door jams on a rough road.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

The 1950 through 1953 Supers and Roadmasters all use the same *glass/roof, so a top from any of those will work, or one that has been used on those. I'm not certain about 1954 and above as the glass/roof changed.
    My ideal situation is too find a rusty 50-53 convert body shell, with bows and windshield frame. Then I could just use the qtr deck lid metal and convert my 53. But they're tough to find, especially affordable ones. The Caddy interchanges also but they're even more expensive (62, 61 series)

*even though the early models had a 3 piece rear glass it is still the same exact shape as a 53 1 piece, exact same front windshield, coupes and convert 50, 70 series. Specials 40 series were smaller.