- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1966 Buick Riviera GS : Wrong engine and carb ?

With a readily available adapter.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Hi, thank you for your answers , i can confirm the following points :

1° The engine is red .

2° The car has black bucket seats , maybe vinyl but it looks like leather .(Between the two front buckets , there is a console whose top may open and which thus act as a storage box ) .

3° Color is light gray, metallic .

4° Car has power windows .

5° Car has power seat ( driver only ) .

6° Car has Auto trunk realease , but it don't works .

7° Car has Vacuum door locks .

8° Car has rear speaker .

Yes , the diameter of the base of the air cleaner is too important to the Carter AFB carburetor , that's why one of the previous owners added between them a circular metal plate that rests on the carburetor and allows the support of air cleaner , but air cleaner gasket is missing .

By cons, it's possible to fix a Carter AFB on intake manifold due to a Quadrajet ; I am referring to the book written by Dave Emanuel and devoted to Carter carburetors, he said, I quote: " All current AFB models contains dual pattern drilling on the mounting flange , so the carbs will not only fit manifolds of the standard bolt pattern ( 5-1/8-by 5-5/8- inch originally designed for carbs such as the Holley 4150/4160 and ford/autolite 4100) , but also for spread bore models ( such as the Rochester quadra-Jet ) , wich have a 4-1/4- by 5-5/8 inch bolt pattern . "

Of course this is likely to lead to problems such as loss of power , but I would not be surprised if this is what was done with my engine, it should therefore that I can check the intake manifold serial number , to find out what it was intended caburetor.

I agree with you that the engine has been changed , but but something puzzles me, namely that the serial number on the block is incomplete (6H259417), it lacks the first six digits, which if they were there, would identify the vehicle from which the engine .
    I thought these numbers might have been intentionally erased, but I see no evidence that could confirm it, and if so why let the other figures?

Quote Originally Posted by bertrandboss View Post
    I agree with you that the engine has been changed , but but something puzzles me, namely that the serial number on the block is incomplete (6H259417), it lacks the first six digits, which if they were there, would identify the vehicle from which the engine .
    I thought these numbers might have been intentionally erased, but I see no evidence that could confirm it, and if so why let the other figures?
    The last 8 digits of the vin are unique to the vehicle, and are all that was needed to match the engine to the vin. Buick did not stamp the first part of the vin on Nailhead engines during this period: only the last 8 digits. MY 65 GS is a good example. The last 8 places of the vin are stamped on the engine. LR and a 3 place date code is stamped on the other side of the valley pan rail. LR (65 400 4bbl) and the date code is stamped on the protect-o-plate that came with the car. This further insures that it is the original engine in the original car.

The MR engine came with a carter carb. The Q-jet and Q jet manifold were only an option for the 400 engine in 66. I think you will find you have a square bore manifold and the original carb was replaced with one found on a 65. You can find the manifold casting #s for the nailhead in the referrence section.

HTH - Steve
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)