Thread: new rear drum brakes don't fit. Why? anyone?

new rear drum brakes don't fit. Why? anyone?

I ordered new drum brakes pads wheel cylinders and hardware for my 66 buiick skylark and the new drums don't fit. I went to another auto parts store and compared the first to the last and they are the same. I even took the adjuster out of the equation and it still will not fit. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

Could the rear end have been changed?

The '66 Chassis manual is in the reference section. With it, you should be able to check the rear end is correct.

Here is a link to the brake section. It may help you determine whether you have correct parts:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...assis/50-a.pdf

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I checked my rear end....It's still there

The seller did not advertise a rear end change, and if he had i wish he had sprung for posi. The information gleaned from the rear doesn't correspond to the manual. The information was taken from the top of the passenger side axle tube. It read CB 1101 W. On the passenger side of the case it reads 3875744N. On the drivers side of the case facing the rear of the car it reads J216. On the opposite side of the case facing the front of the car is the designation GM1. Any help identifying the rear end would be helpful.

Thanks

Details, details.

Can you provide more detail on what's keeping the new drums from fitting? Wrong bolt pattern? Width? Diameter? (should be 9.5 inches for a Skylark). Compare the new drums to the old, where do they differ?

Diameter: New shoes, new drums, sometimes it's awfully tight in there since both surfaces are designed with plenty of "meat" on them for wearing purposes. If it's a simple matter of a too-tight fit consider having the new drums turned just a bit at the service station....not a bad idea regardless, I've seen some "new" drums that were far-from-perfect inside....

If it's a bolt pattern or lining-width issue (best as I can remember, sedans were 2 inches wide, wagons 2.5, but it's been a while) then it's a matter of taking your old drums to the store (or better yet, the local boneyard) and finding a match. Or ask the fella running the brake lathe at the service station, he's seen a few brake drums in his time, might recognize your old ones on sight

Best of luck and hope this helps!
    Last edited by Special_Deluxe; 09-02-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Typos!
    -Mike

1968 Special daily driver 285K "Roadmaster"

1969 Skylark 2dr 38K 99% original- gone but not forgotten

1992 Chev Lumina 3.4 project- just plain gone

and a '75 Ford Granada project for sale!