Thread: HELP! HELP! Engine swap issues....

Question HELP! HELP! Engine swap issues....

About three years ago, I bought a 1973 Electra from my cousin. It has a 455, and long-neck turbo 400 transmission, both of which ran fine(I drove it from his house to mine, about 10 miles). However, when I took it out and dropped it into my car, an 82 LeSabre, the transmission stopped switching gears as it should. I changed the fluid, the gear in the neck(I forgot the name of it), made sure the vacuum lines were open and secure....it still wouldn't change gears correctly. I cranked it about a year ago to run it for a while; I tried to drive it just out of curiosity, and now it wont even budge. What do you guys think could be causing this? I've been told by several mechanics that I need to disable the onboard computer in my Lesabre, since the Electra didn't have one; that it's interfering with the transmission. I don't know about that though; I could be wrong since im no mechanic, but I'm looking at the motor/transmission from the electra as one mechanical unit, which is not connected to any electronics other than the battery to starter. I was thinking that maybe the transmission coincidentally gave out during the swap, and just needs a rebuild. Any ideas at all?

I REALLY want to get this car driving; I didnt start driving until 2000, after the "big body" days; I drove the both of them for a while, the LeSabre and Electra...I have NEVER felt more secure and "safe" in a car, and yet they feel like they're sliding on ice.....they just dont make 'em like that anymore....

A computer will have absolutly no effect on the tranny, several things could have happened here, if you separated the engine and tranny you may have not engaged the front pump with the torque converter, you usually have to spin the converter till in seats in the pump before you put it on the engine, or it could have slipped out during insallation,if the pump is not engaged when you start it the locking tabs could get snaped off requiring replacement, another could be the lincage is not correct or out of adjustment, check the lines again make sure you have vacume from the engine to the modulator, make sure the modulator is in there the right way and working, check the passing gear or kick down is in the right position, usually if it ran when you bought it it should work now unless it was "used car'd" just before you got it

Thanks for the advice; I'll keep those things in mind when I get back around to working on it.....

there's a single wire that goes to the kickdown switch on the accelarator linkage on the side of the tranny - that might be grounded or broken