Thread: 64 Skylark Trunk key ????

64 Skylark Trunk key ????

I have no keys for a car I just picked up and would like to know which keys open what doors, trunk, ignition, etc?

I'm going to get keys made, I just need to know which one opens the trunk so I can get into it....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

keys

Slider, on all old gm cars, a round key is used for the trunk, doors, and glove compartment lock. The key to the ignition has a slight hex shape to the head. To remove the trunk key cylinder, remove your back seat, and reach in very far to the latch assembly with a long thin regular screwdriver. find the hole in the latch that is rectangle shape, about 1/4 inch big. Install screwdriver, and turn to the left. An easier way is to remove the glove box door and take it with you to the locksmith. the trunk thing is more fun if you got a buddy who owes you a favor. Charles

Thanks.

I'll call my buddy....

UPDATE - Useful Information

Come to find out, the passenger side tumbler has the key code stamped on the side. The locksmith cross ref'd the number and had a key for me in less than 45 seconds...

With two additional keys made(original GM stamped blanks...) the total came out to $12.31.

Just thought I'd pass it along to any 64 and older owners.

Thanks.
    Last edited by sd-slider; 08-20-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: sp

Smile

Thanks for the info,BTW,were you talking cars or owners when you said 64 or older owners?

goat
    64 Riv
    had 65 Riv GS

I found that the one key (ignition) opens the doors and the trunk on my 64 Wildcat. the Wildcat key works in the ignition of my 64 leSabre, but not vice versa. you can also remove the key from the ignition of the wildcat while the car is running.

that was bad news when I opened the trunk and set the keys inside while getting out a jacket - it was raining. I closed the trunk with THE key inside. had to remove the rear seat and use a fishing pole/hook to retrieve the keys. twas a good thing the spare wasn't up behind the seat

64 Wildcat 445
    64 LeSabre 455
    67 Impala 327
    Butch