Thread: '91 ignition

'91 ignition

A 91 buick lesabre was given to me but they dont have the key so I bought a new ignition and I have never done this type of thing. Can someone give me steps on how to change it?

key cylinder

I can walk you through this, but first, I need to know a few things. #1. does the car have an air bag.#2. does the new key cylinder have a wire harness coming from it(2wire, about 10 inches long) #3. does car have cruise control. #4 does car have tilt wheel. This job is not hard, but the options matter on the steps to be taken. Also, you will need a few special tools. don't worry, harbor freight carries them. post a reply, and I can quide you through it.

Ok, no the ignition does not have a wire harness, there is no cruise it is tilt

ummm it's a v6 if that matters? no air bag

key cylinder

O.K. we're on easy street. #1 disconnect negative(-) battery cable.#2remove horn cover.(usually 2 screws from under wheel)#3 remove nut holding steering wheel (13/16) #4 remove steering wheel with steering wheel puller tool (harbour freight wheel kit)#5 next step is to remove the plate that locks steering wheel from turning. it is about 3 inches round with notches along the outside.#6 install lock wheel removal tool on shaft where nut came off holding wheel on.(in steering wheel tool kit. it is 2 parts. 6 inch shaft that screws onto column shaft, and a u shaped strap with a hole in the middle.)#7 install nut( supplied in kit) to shaft tool, and tighten until plate drops about 1/8th of an inch.it is spring loaded below the plate.#8remove the 1 inch dia. clip( looks like a small circle)#9remove nut, tool, 1 inch clip, and lock plate.#10 if your turn signal lever holds the wiper switch( rotates to turn on wipers) pull out turn signal lever. it is only held in place with spring pressure,DO NOT PULL TOO HARD! It has wires running to it.#11 remove 3 phillips screws holding turn signal switch. gently pull out on turn signal switch. there is usually some slack.#12 you can now see the the torx screw on the right side holding in the switch.remove screw, pull out key cylinder, install new part, reverse procedure to put it all together again. take your time, It's not hard with the steering wheel puller kit. GOOD LUCK. Charles., ASE cert. master mechanic

key cylinder

O.K. we're on easy street. #1 disconnect negative(-) battery cable.#2remove horn cover.(usually 2 screws from under wheel)#3 remove nut holding steering wheel (13/16) #4 remove steering wheel with steering wheel puller tool (harbour freight wheel kit)#5 next step is to remove the plate that locks steering wheel from turning. it is about 3 inches round with notches along the outside.#6 install lock wheel removal tool on shaft where nut came off holding wheel on.(in steering wheel tool kit. it is 2 parts. 6 inch shaft that screws onto column shaft, and a u shaped strap with a hole in the middle.)#7 install nut( supplied in kit) to shaft tool, and tighten until plate drops about 1/8th of an inch.it is spring loaded below the plate.#8remove the 1 inch dia. clip( looks like a small circle)#9remove nut, tool, 1 inch clip, and lock plate.#10 if your turn signal lever holds the wiper switch( rotates to turn on wipers) pull out turn signal lever. it is only held in place with spring pressure,DO NOT PULL TOO HARD! It has wires running to it.#11 remove 3 phillips screws holding turn signal switch. gently pull out on turn signal switch. there is usually some slack.#12 you can now see the the torx screw on the right side holding in the switch.remove screw, pull out key cylinder, install new part, reverse procedure to put it all together again. take your time, It's not hard with the steering wheel puller kit. GOOD LUCK. Charles., ASE cert. master mechanic

forgot one thing

opps, I forgot about one screw. In #11 remove emergency flasher screw on lower right edge of steering column. it screws into turn signal switch. sorry 'bout that. Charles

Okay I will be going tomorrow to buy a steering wheel kit, thanks alot!!