- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Dynaflow Speedo Gear Replacement '63 Riv

Dynaflow Speedo Gear Replacement '63 Riv

Hi,

I need to replace my speedometer driven gear on a '63 Riv because it is worn out. I have a 20-tooth gear currently, but my tires are bigger now. Can I just put a different tooth count in, or do I need to also replace the drive gear to match?

Also, I'm trying to do this in a driveway and need some other's experience before I begin. Is there anything that I need to watch out for? I am hoping to pop out the old driven gear and just put in the new.

Thanks.

Hi All,

I managed to get the old speedo out, and put in the 19-tooth. Everything went well and the speedometer now works. Although the needle is about +2mph (@45mph) over my chase vehicle, I am happy to get the thing working again.

I lifted the vehicle from the left side (both front and rear). I had to put the shifter into reverse to move the linkages (its a PNDLR) out of the way. From there it was uneventful. Pull out sleeve with old gear, clean, oil with ATF, and re-insert with new gear.

Not sure if this is covered in the tranny manual, but I attached the speedo cable to the sleeve first (before re-installing) --- by pushing in the inside cable to the plastic gear, then screwing the connector tight. The gear seemed to be keyed (or oddly shaped), because the first time the cable didn't seat all the way, so i removed and turned 90-degree and tried again until it seated.

Once connected, I then inserted the assembly into the tranny. Good thing the cable was screwed on already, because it slipped in very easy with all of that ATF coating it, as I over-pushed a bit. The cable connector stopped the sleeve from taking a dive into the tranny. Also, the cable gave me something to grab onto to pull it out the 1/4" that it went too far.

Thanks to all who read this post.