From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: Rustoleum Paint Job

Rustoleum Paint Job

Has anyone here painted their car/truck with Rustoleum using a HVLP or gravity feed gun? I have heard great things about this method and was looking to get another perspective.
    Put An LS1 in it and go!

I've never used a gun with Rustoleum, but I painted a 49 Ford pickup with spray cans! I fixed the body one fender at a time and drove the other 3 fenders to work. (I was followed one morning in the rain by a secretary who wondered why my mirror was spraying water!!) But you gotta be happy with a less than shiny surface; it can't be buffed out unless one of you guys knows a trick. But the stuff wears like iron!

Lol, nice. Glad to hear there are still a few 49's running around. My friend has a '49 flatbed dually with a flat head v-8...sunk into the ground to the frame rails, and I get to winch it out with him once the weather gets warmer lol. But every time I look into this paint style I keep running into this senario
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

It's just so tempting since my car will be more of a street warrior, and has some serious rust that I'm fixing at the moment, in fact so bad that the frame and body are separated so I can work on both separately.
    Hope the truck is still moving.
    Put An LS1 in it and go!

Yeah, that Dodge is sort of orange. I used the forest green which isn't loud at all. I'm doing some repairs right now to a 74 Chevy stepside using 'sail blue', which is like that Toyota bright blue SUV. Ya just can't be too picky on colors, there aren't that many shades. My point is, why put a 3000 buck paint job on a 2000 buck car?

Rustoleum is like any other paint, it won't hide anything. So, body prep is everything! The nicer the body work, the nicer the paint! Rustoleum also does not come in a lot of colors, but they can be mixed to come up with about any solid color you can imagine. That being said, I painted my 50 with it! It was originaly a grey color and I could'ent see coughing up 2-300 bucks for a gallon of paint! And then theres the reducer and all the "other" stuff.....So, I tried it. All my buddies had a great laugh at me, untill they saw the car. It looks fantastic!!! They all know that their $7-800 paint alone, paint job has just got to be better, but to date they can't tell me why. I guess it "just feels better". Since I'm not much of a painter I did make a few errors, but it had nothing to do with the paint. What I learned: Use a new paint gun. Buy a Harbor Freight $40 buck gun and use it for the paint, not primer or anything else. After, its a primer gun. Paint in a booth. Even if you have to slap one togather out of 2x4's and plastic. Rustoleum likes about 65 degrees. It will have to be thinned. Paint thinner works great. Don't try to mop it on all at once, but once you start painting, ya gotta finish. Not color it up and go back a few days later for the last coat. On the last coat, mix in a little stuff called Penatrol, it's kind of a leveler. Done right the paint will lay down, gloss up and come out looking like glass. No rubbing, buffing, no nothing! And, even if you get a few runs, air hose hits, etc, in about 3 days or so you can sand and patch up no sweat. It's kinda like old school lacquer in that reguard. And the stuff is tough, it won't "fall off". alleycat

I painted my frame using that stuff

I had to mix 50-50 to get it out of my paint gun

Why not use a real paint brand?

www.howardsbackyardautobody.com

Smile Rustoleum

To date I have painted to class 8 tractors with rustoleum and they turned out great only cut it 5% with thinner and it sprayed fine from a gravity gun.