- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: A few questions on 248 Buick Trans Options...

A few questions on 248 Buick Trans Options...

Hi there, I'm new here but was recomened to the site by some on the HAMB (a traditional hot rod forum)...anyways I'm building a '26 Willys Whippet turned RPU on a '20 Dodge Bro's frame, with a '47 248 Straight 8...I have a question though..I'm kind of lost on trans. options. I was thinking of using the stock Buick manual...but it's not open drive, and my '52 Olds rear end is.. Is there a way to convert it? Or are there any other trans options? I'm open for anything really, auto or manual.

Thanks for the help,
    Bobby

I think you will do well to stay away from the Buick 3 spd. I think it was on Jyrki's site I saw what was required to adapt a 4 spd. It was pretty basic modifications.

Here's one for the 700R4: http://www.transmissionadapters.com/...ht_263_320.htm

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I think you will do well to stay away from the Buick 3 spd. I think it was on Jyrki's site I saw what was required to adapt a 4 spd. It was pretty basic modifications.

Here's one for the 700R4: http://www.transmissionadapters.com/...ht_263_320.htm
    Yeah, the 700R4 would work for a 350/400/4L60 and a few others...But $995.00 is cuttin' into my imaginary "budget" a bit....

I've heard of putting a Muncie or a Saginaw behind one, isn't it just making the center hole a little bigger for a later carrier bering, and drilling and tapping like 3 holes (I believe one is supposed to line up)...I might have to go that route...Even though a Muncie is a bit expensive, it's still cheaper than an adapter and a good trans...Plus I actually think a manual would be way more fun...a little extra work setting up the pedals but no big deal in the whole aspect of things.

Sounds like a good plan. I think you've got this project pertty well planned out. I like a hydraulic clutch, lots easer to deal with snaking hose from point a to point b then working with mechanical linkage. Circle Track magszine has alot of venders selling master cylinder assemblys for hanging petals.

On my 263, I have a T5. I had the hole in the bellhopusing hogged out, had an adapter plate made from steel fabricated, heated the fork of the clutch bearing lever and spread them apart to fit the modern release bearing, installed a modern pilot bearing and it all fit together fine.

What I have is a 1995 T5 out of a Mustang with the 3.8. This particular tranny has a longer input shaft than most others. Your adapter plate thickness may be thinner than mine. I beleive mine is 7/8" thick. I could get better measurements if needed. The hole for the tranny in the bellhousing was hogged out to fit the T5. Actually, its the adapter that goes in there, the tranny then fits to the adapter. The '95 3.8 pilot bearing fit right into the Buick crank.

The pressure plate is a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 unit. Bolts right onto the flywheel. The clutch disc is from a 1978 Fairmont. I believe its a 9.5" disc.

So, Jeep pressure plate, Fairmont clutch disc, modified clutch fork, Ford pilot bearing, Ford release bearing, Ford T5, adapter plate. Done.

Everything is currently apart and off the engine so I should take some measurements and pics.

I used the 3.8 tranny because it uses the same gear ratios as the V8 model. True, it is lighter duty than the V8 tranny but is stronger than the 4 cylinder tranny. It was available locally and was better than $250 cheaper than the cheapest V8 tranny I could find in the area. It does have that longer input shaft though. But if you're having an adapter plate made, make it thick enough and the long shaft means nothing.

Here's a link to the HAMB thread showing the build. In there you can find some pics of the T5 swap and the clutch linkage we made.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=325728
    Last edited by Rande; 08-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Very cool Rande...And thanks for the HAMB link... Good to know there are a few straight 8 guys over there. Have you seen any of the posts Scotch did on his Str 8 build? Pretty sweet...

I've decided to go with a 4spd Saginaw (neighbor had a nice one for $150) I'm in the process of getting bits and peices together so I can mock up the frame (axle, steering box, front brakes, spindles, stuff like that) I'm gettin' pretty excited...Now I need to find a Stromberg AA that matches mine...Then I can build my intake and linkage, fab up a header, and sell my soul to the chromer...

28 trans options

Hey silent. Sounds like you're a true hotrodder. What an interesting combination of cars. A straight 8 is the perfect choice for this car. I'm running a 263/700R4 done with a Bendsten's adapter. A very high quality adapter but you're right, they aint cheap. Sounds like Rande's approach would fit better with your concept. Good luck! Keep us posted!