Thread: 71 skylark vinyl roof replacement

71 skylark vinyl roof replacement

I have searched the web on how to replace a vinyl roof on my 71 skylark with not much help. I have seen that it seems to be easy with 2 people. Any help here from anyone that has done it?

I have used an aerosol spray to remove the woodie decals on vehicles before and it has not damaged the paint job (I have even used that spray on an 08 Impala with stickers on the doors with the only bad result is that when wet the spot where the sticker was beads differently) Would this stuff work on the roof glue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Mike

1971 Buick Skylark Custom
    83,000 miles w/ 1971 Buick 350 CU IN

I stripped the top off my '68. It's a lot of work.

You've got to remove the trim around the windshield and rear window to avoid damage, preferably the drip rail molding too if your car has it (now's a good time to polish it all up like new).

Next you have to peel off the old top, its easy if you leave the car in the summer sun on a hot day.

Finally once that tops off, you need to remove the 38 year old glue that held it on. I used 3M adhesive remover and a razor blade to scrape the gunk off. Let me tell you, this is where the sweat and man hours come in. You'll need to do it outside, wearing a respirator if possible, because that 3M stuff is nasty.

Once you have your roof clean of the old top and adhesive, I'd check for rust. Almost the entire bottom of the rear window channel of my GS was rotted out, along with the top corners of the windshield

Once everything's cleaned up, I'd find a pro to install the top because its time consuming and if you don't get it right the car just won't look right and it won't hold up.
    Nick
    1968 Buick GS400 auto
    1972 Olds Cutlass conv. 350, 4 speed (Dad's)

What issues would I have if I remove the vinyl and keep it off?

How different would it look from one that never had a vinyl roof?

I really like the vinyl but if I am going to take it off I want to at least think about the option of leaving it off.

I don't expect it to look great under there. I understand they were not too picky about the looks at the build
    knowing the roof was going to be covered but if it is sandable and the rust is fixable then I might try it out.

I am considering trading the car for another make/model/ or just style for a change of pace but if I can change
    this one then I don't have to roll the dice on what someone else is trading for it.

IMO, keeping (or replacing) a vinyl roof is just asking for rust. Take it off and leave it off. If you do a good job of finishing, the roof should end up looking as good as the rest of the car. If you are worried about a paint match and don't want to repaint the rest of the body, just make it a two-tone.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 07-07-2013 at 05:20 PM.

No my biggest concern is will it look like the rest or just one with the vinyl removed. I am trying to look at pics to
    view both to try to see any differences.
    I have friends with great body shops that owe me favors so the paint and/or body work it not an issue.

I have a couple of bubbles showing up on the paint by the door corners and one rear fender that need attention soon
    so I am planning on getting it painted anyways.

I think I may go that way just trying to rule out my worries about looks.

If it will look just like a factory non vinyl roof then that way wins

Thanks