- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: 62 Buick Skylark Trans Swap

62 Buick Skylark Trans Swap

Hello, I have a 62 Buick Skylark, 215 V8 with a 2spd Auto Trans. The car runs and drives great and is perfect for restoring. I want to keep it as original as possible as far as drive train is concerned; keeping the 215 and having it rebuilt. The only thing I want to modify is the Trans; I want to add a 3-4 spd auto or a 4spd manual, the 2spd just doesn't work for me. Does anyone have any ideas or know where I can find a trans to bolt up to the 215 or what trans will bolt up to it? Thanks.

Thumbs up Trans Swap

Doing the same right now. You can use any 200R4 late model GM tranny as long as it came from a Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile as the bellhousing is the same, but not Chevy.
    You will have to enlarge the trans tunnel on the floorboard as the almost ANY new tranny will be larger, but that is a small price to pay for dependability!
    I am also going to mount a Lokar shifter there and clean up the steering column.

A great website if you haven't already found it is www.aluminumv8.com home of D&D Fabrication. Mark, the owner, is by far the most knowledgeable expert on early Buick(O&P also) aluminum V-8s. Site has a great amount of history on the engine and its modern use. He has complete machining capabilities and a world of performance parts. One thing, Mark really doesn't like to conduct business via e-mail, just call him, anytime. Number is 810-798-2491.

I live in the Dallas area and a guy that has done a number of custom jobs on the '62 Buicks and Oldsmobiles is Keith Stephens. He can be reached at www.n2billet@verizon.net. Just reference that you talked to me. He is the one that turned me on to D&D.

I have done extensive research on the '62 Buick, mine is a convertable. If you have any questions just give me a call!
    Dan Shea 484-788-5887.
    Last edited by jdanielshea; 08-02-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Trans Swap Adendum

One other note. When swapping to the 200R4 you will have to shorten the driveshaft. Not a big problem.
    Thanks,
    Dan Shea

Thanks

Thanks for the tips...I also found out from a local buick guy that any TH350 from a Buick Small Block would bolt right up....still researching that as well. Thanks for the info, I'm also able to be reached at 254-371-2654.

Thanks (cont'd)

Dan, I forgot to mention, it sounds as though we are shooting for the same goal as far as cleaning up the steering column. I'm planning to install a floor shifter as well and then go to a chrome steering column. Give me call anytime.

Will

What a lot of folks (me included) didn't know is that Buick offered a 4-speed as an option in 53. My son and I rebuilt a 53 Skylark years ago. We went looking for a parts car and wound up with one that had a stock 4-speed!! Talk about luck! So, keep your eyes open and you may get lucky like we did!

Trans Swap

Both trans will "bolt up" after you bolt on an adapter to the engine from D&D.

I swapped the super turbine 300 out of my 67 special deluxe for a 200r4. As far as I know they all have dual bolt pattern housings i.e. bop and chevy. I had to move the trans mount back, but there was already holes in the frame that lined up perfectly. The driveshaft and yoke were a perfect match. I used a lockup kit from Bowtie overdrives out of cali. It took me a couple tries as far as speedo setup, but ebay has tons of gears.hth.

Oh yeah, mileage went from 20 to 26/27 on the highway, with way better performance in town.

according to wilkipedia....62&63 Specials Engine choices were a 198 cubic-inch V-6 with 2-barrel carburetor, a 215 cubic-inch V-8 with two-barrel carburetor, and a 215 cubic-inch V-8 with 4-barrel carburetor. Transmission choices were a 'three on the tree' manual transmission, a floor shift Borg-Warner T-10 4-spd. manual transmission, and a two-speed automatic.

So if you are looking for a 4 speed stock transmission you may be in luck.