Thread: 71 Skylark rear side window trim...adhesive?

71 Skylark rear side window trim...adhesive?

Hi, I'm putting new rubber on the rear side window trim on my 71 Skylark. Its the chrome piece that holds the seal where the front and rear side windows meet(hardtop), and I'm curious what keeps these pieces on. The trim pieces were in the trunk when I got the car, I have the new rubber on and they fit fine, but what holds them on? It doesn't look like there's any trace of old adhesive in the glass side of the groove, any ideas? Thanks...

I got a 67' 72' and a newly purchased 71'...re-done all of them my self and wondered the samething...must just slide right in the groove....i can tell you that on my 72', which was the first one i did, i thought that they must have had to be siliconed in....not only did i make a mess and had to scape excess silicone off the window, but for some reason i had to take them off at a later date and then wished i hadn't ....the 67' and the soon to be 71' surely won't have anything at all on them...except maybe a little soap to help them on...over and out...i'm pretty good at all buick trim and interior stuff so if you ever have any questions...feel free....a old man who worked at buick in detroit told me once...that cars were designed to be put together by a bunch of dummies on the line and and had ten miutes to do each part...so don't think it's rocket science...i use that knowledge a lot...over and out

I actually figured it out, on one there were the remains of a rubber/plastic 'boot' that fit in the groove and then over the glass. I used a strip of vinyl upholstery material with a little weatherstrip adhesive, worked perfect. Trimmed off the excess with a razor blade and its invisible.