- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: need help quick.

need help quick.

i have a 1960 buick Invicta. i need new brake drums and need to know why one of the the back brakes would stick out. i need to know the best place to get new brake drums and wheel cylinders. it would be a great help.

NAPA or JUNKYARD
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

What is ment by "one of the back brakes would stick out"?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

For brake drums try Kantor Auto Parts, New Jersey.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What is ment by "one of the back brakes would stick out"?

when you drive it it goes out then it sticks.

I had the sticking problem on the rear brakes of a 70's Caddy, they were drums too. Its usually caused by a few different things:

1.) Bad rubber line it allows the fluid to travel in but causes resistance on the way out. This was one of my problems, I replaced it and it seemed to get a little better, but it still wasn't right.
    2.) Rusted wheel cylinder, this one usually happens after a car sits. They dont retract well because the cups hit the rust inside and then usually begin to leak.
    3.) Worn out brake return springs, this was my problem. The springs seemed strong but they just weren't strong enough to return the wheel cylinders. Replaced all my hardware and it was fine.
    4.) Brakes could be too worn and the adjusters are all the way out, this one is a text book reason never actually seen it happen.

If the rubber hose ends up being bad I would recommend replacing the wheel cylinder because most likely all those rubber chunks and sediment are probably built up inside. Let the line gravity bleed with the old wheel cylinder off, to get any of the crap out. Just remember to keep the master cyl. full. Then put the new wheel cylinder on and bleed till you get fresh fluid, might not be a bad idea to try and flush all the other fluid out of the sytem at the other wheels too.

thanks for the help

thanks for all the help im going to see if that is the problem and if it is i will get it fixed right away. then i will come back and let you all know. but thanks again for the info.