- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: What to do... Need some advise / suggestions

What to do... Need some advise / suggestions

I recently installed a timing chain and water pump on my 64 Electra. I got it running just right, only to find out I have a leaking freeze plug on the passenger side. Its the second one from the front. right next to the motor mount. Does any one have any advise on how to change the freeze plug? Do I need to take the engine out in order to change the plug? or can I just take the motor mount off? Also what kind of replacement freeze plug should I buy? I went to autozone and they had steel, brass and rubber freeze plugs. Also could I use a expandable freeze plug? And do they really work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreshiated... Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Dzrigger; 06-30-2009 at 04:53 AM.

Use Brass, try not to damage the edges of the hole when removing the old one, clean the hole up real good and put a good sealer on it. Permatex # 2. You can probably take the motor mounts loose and use a wood block on a floor jack to lift the engine if you need more clearance. This job sucks even if you are a seasoned professional. Inspect the rest of them to see if they need replaced also. Might as well do them all at once if they need it and get it over with. Also a good time to inspect the motor mounts themselves. If they are the originals there is a good chance that they need replaced too. Good luck.

BigRivi

Thank you for your advise. Do you know if will have to take off the exhaust manifold in order to do the job?

While you have the plug out,it wouldn't hurt to dig around in the block and get all of the crud out that you can.

That I do not know. You will have to get under there with a good light and take a good look around. I currently do not have a Nail head equipped car to look at at my disposal. My first guess would be no, but I have not seen exactly what you are up against. This work will all be done from underneath the car, so I don't think that exhaust manifold removal will be necessary.

On the larger core plugs in the block, I take a large punch and knock one side into the block. I then grab the side sticking out with a pair of channel lock plyers and pry it right out. On the smaller ones like in the head I use a slide hammer dent puller. I just changed all the freeze plugs in this fashion in the 401 that I installed in my 50 Chev sedan delivery. Of course its easy with the motor out.