Thread: '60 LeSabre brake lights,,,

'60 LeSabre brake lights,,,

I have a 1960 LeSabre. The turn signals and rear taillights work just fine, however the brake lights won't come on when I am applying the brakes. Any ideas on where to start with this one?

I looked in the trunk at where the wiring is for the light and everything seemed to be intact. I did find something a bit strange though,,, A small wooden box with wires attached (+ and -) and wasn't sure what they went to... I have flamethrower exhausts. Could they possibly be for that?

I'm frustrated and fearful to drive my beauty with the brake lights working...

Please Help!!

David

Check your brake light switch. I don't know it location on your car. It is a small hydraulic over electric switch screwed into the system shortly after it leaves your master cylinder.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

THanks

Thanks for the information... I did look up on the internet and found some available parts... to be honest, I'm not mechanically-minded and am taking it to a shop on Monday, but I'll pass along what you've told me... Thanks

WOuld also like to hear from others, especially concerning wooden boxes in front of each tail light well...

David

Almost positive it'd be a brake light switch. Screws into the master cylinder and has two post that stick up with a squareish plastic connector that slides on. Has a wire coming from the starter relay I believe and another that goes through the firewall. Cost me $9 and took 2 minutes to replace, all you need is a pair of pliers.

~Mike

btw. I'm also assuming you checked the fuse

As Mike said, the brake light switch screws into the top, front of the master cylinder. To test if it is bad just make a short jumper. Take a short piece of wire about 4 inches long and strip some insulation off each end and bend it into a U shape. Touch one of the exposed ends to one of the terminals on the brake light switch that are sticking up and touch the other end of wire to the other terminal. If the brake lights come on the switch is bad.
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

Wooden box

I believe the wooden box you are refering to is modle T or A coil, an old school approch to flamethrowers.
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?