Thread: 54' Buick special fuel pump

54' Buick special fuel pump

My fuel pump was leaking around the gaskets and losing pressure so I bought a rebuild kit for It. While disassembling it I noticed 2 holes which appear to be drilled into the housing that don't look factory. They are below the upper diaphram in the cavity just below the diaphram but above the actuator arm. I don't believe the fuel was coming from here because I don't think gas is in this section of the pump. Can anyone advise me on what these might be? Secondly there are some spring actuated valves which are a pain to remove. I'm thinking of drilling them out. Does anyone have a better suggestion.

I've repaired a bunch of fuel pumps over the years and never replaced the valves. Most of them are staked in place and are, as you noted, a pain to remove. They're also a pain to re-install. If the pump was pumping I'd leave the valves alone and just change out the diaphragms and gaskets.

Smile 54 Special Fuel Pump

Betcha the holes are to let crankcase vapors out. Earlier pumps had em, and by 53 they were awfully small.

Ya, these are small. Each is about 3/16 to a 1/4 in diameter. Any suggestion on getting these spring valves out without having to drill them. They appear to have punch marks in the pump body to help hold them in. Thanks for your insight.

Dave

Thanks NJ, just read your post about leaving the valves. It was pumping, just had some leaks and didn't hold pressure in the line.