- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: Newbie with a Buick 350 in an 81 Delta 88

Unhappy Newbie with a Buick 350 in an 81 Delta 88

I recently recieved an 1981 Oldsmobile Delta 88 as a gift, I knew that it would be needing some work, but I didn't (don't) know how much work it will need. The former owner told me that it had a Buick 350 engine in it and as me and my dad were searching for some way of identifying it found some numbers on the back of what I think is the intake manifold. The number is 1241748. It has a Rochester Quadrajet carburator with the number 17069241 on it.

As of right now, the tail pipe has white smoke coming out of it when the engine heats up, which I believe is due to a blown headgasket or bad piston rings. I am looking for help in fixing the engine up first before going on to other problems. Also, I would like to know what other engines would fit into this car without modifications if anyone knows that. All help is welcome, thanks in advance.

I have pictures if that will help.

Deddric

White smoke indicates coolant bleeding into the combustion chamber. Another check is to run the engine (briefly) and look for bubbles in the radiator which means compression getting into the cooling system.

The number is 1241748

you might have hit the jackpot. 1981 was the last year of production for the Buick 350 but that 1241748 casting number is coming up as a Buick 455 block in our list:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...bers_big_block

do you have 5 bolt valve covers ( big block ) or 6 bolt valve covers ( Buick 350 )?

if it has 6 bolt covers, it's a 350 and our reference list needs correction. if it has 5 bolt covers, someone has already done an engine swap as 455 production ended in 1976.

Another check is to run the engine (briefly) and look for bubbles in the radiator which means compression getting into the cooling system.

you can actually buy a chemical kit to test for exhaust gasses in the radiator fluid. try NAPA. then there's no guesswork.

Also, I would like to know what other engines would fit into this car without modifications if anyone knows that.

if it still has the 350:

a Buick 340 or 300v8 should be near drop in.

a mid-80's Buick turbo v6 should mate up to the engine mounts and transmission but you'll probably have to change some wiring, extend the fan forward and play with the plumbing.

a Buick 455 can be dropped in fairly easy but you will need new frame pads and engine mounts along with a big block fan shroud.

Buick 350's are also usually fairly cheap from the junk yard.

keep in mind that a Buick 350 is NOT a Chevy 350. is your distributor at the front?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the help, when I get back to it I will check on the valve covers and the radiator for compression, as well as that kit to uncover the problem.

I checked and it has six bolts on the valve covers, but no, there is not any bubbling in the radiator. I am going to take it through emissions next week to possibly locate the source of the problem.
    Last edited by dpellis; 07-03-2009 at 05:01 PM.