Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 401 Water Pump

401 Water Pump

Ok I have searched but cant seam to find the differance between the water pumps on a car with A/C and without. I have A/C now but will be removing it should I stick with the same pump or switch to the non a/c pump? Whats the differance?
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

The difference is how many vanes (blades) the impeller has. The AC pumps have 5, whereas a Non-AC has 3 impeller blades.

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)

As a further note the crank & water pump pulley's are different diameters & 2 belt as opposed to 3 belt.

Tom T.

You sure about BOTH diameters Tom? I think I remember the crank pullys being the same diameter, just the extra groove... Now you are going to make me go check again...

It seems different people have had different results with using the 5 vane pump on a non-A/C car. Some believe that the high flow pump flows the coolant TOO fast and does not have enough time to dwell throught the system to be efficient.

I'd leave it the way it is for now when you delete your A/C . You can always change out your water pump and pulleys fairly easy later if you find your temps start climbing up on you.

Erik
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

(wifes drag car)

Yes Erik. The non A/C pumps spin at .9 engine speed while the A/C cars with the smaller crank & larger water pump pulley spins at 1.1. If you try & use an A/C water pump pulley on a non A/C car with the non A/C crank pulley the water pump pulley won't fit as the pulley's will hit each other.

Tom T.

Ok my car is tore down now and I can move the waterpump shaft around about a 1/4 inch. I am amazed that it doesent leak. So I have to replace the pump either way from what Erik is saying i should replace it with the non a/c pump and from Tom is saying I am also going to need both pullys? Can I use the same pullys on the none ac pump or is it going to still spin the pump too fast?
    Thanks for the help
    JOHN
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...34201&viewitem= I found this pump but I have not yet removed mine anyone know if this is the 401 or 215 Pump? Also could I use the a/c pump with the non a/c pullys to slow it down?

We are, me, doing alot of guessing & assuming here. Is this the '62 LeSabre 4dr??? What year, make & model are we talking about??? Does it have original A/C from the factory or an add-on unit. I wouldn't buy something that's been sitting for who knows how long. You may just end up with the same thing your going through now, again!!!! Maybe worse if the impeller blades wipe out the timing cover (if they haven't already) or the shaft breaks & the fan blades take out the radiator/shroud. Lets figure out EXACTLY what you need before making recommendations & we can go from there.

Tom T.

Quote Originally Posted by lentzjj View Post
    Ok I have searched but cant seam to find the differance between the water pumps on a car with A/C and without. I have A/C now but will be removing it should I stick with the same pump or switch to the non a/c pump? Whats the differance?

Since you are removing your A/C you will need the "non A/C" options if you want to do it right.

1. A set of "Non-A/C" 2 grove pulleys.
    2. A "Non-A/C" 3 vane water pump (with new gasket).
    3. A set of shorter set of V-belts.

The water pump is the easiest part. You have a couple options. First, you can go down to your local Napa and buy one or any other parts warehouses can get either 3 or 5 vane pump for you. The second (and my vote) is to call Tony (aka The Flying Dutchman) at 1(888)595-1110. He can rebuild your water pump either as a 3 vane (or as a 5 vane) to better than factory quality. I wouldn't get one off ebay even if it was free.

The pulleys will be the greater challenge as you will have to beat the bushes to find someone that has the ones you want. Post a "Parts Wanted" ad in the classifieds section, call Carmen, or heck Tom might even have a set or know were there is some available. (I wont tell you I have a set but they are not for sale...) I have only see the 3 grooves being repopped in aluminum but they are usually more desireable. Surely you will be able to find someone that will trade you. I'm surprised no one has come up with a serpentine system yet for the nailhead, or found a compareable size for a different engine that would be close or something like that.

The belts will just be a matter of making a run to the auto parts store. You should be able to use the factory size belts listed, or better yet you can measure what size you need before you go.

Deleting your A/C compressor shouldn't be too hard. Are you going to mount your Alternator where the A/C compressor used to be with the "bar" type bracket? You can probably just cap and plug your bulkhead fittings for the A/C box.

Ok.. Tom... how did I do? Did I miss anything? By the way, did you know Tony is selling the business? http://www.fdrbp.com/

Erik

(wifes drag car)

Thumbs up

Ok a little more info the car is a 62 lesabre 4dr sedan 73000 miles. The A/c in the car is factory, the compresser was in the trunk froze up when i bought the car, already has a alternator on where the compresser should have been, I have to agree with you on the old pump on ebay I am just on a tight budget. Also on a side not my clutch fan blades are all bent to crap and there is not a fan shroud on the car yet. I was planning on installing a flexalite fan that i used to have on my regal and probally a make a fan shroud for it. It sounds as if I need some new pullys.