Thread: 1966 Wildcat Custom 401 nailhead

Question 1966 Wildcat Custom 401 nailhead

Have a question, I recently changed plugs, wires, air filter, dist cap and needle, fuel filter, air filter and PVC valve.

Currently, the car starts fine.

The issue starts after the car is warmed up, it stalls and turns off when braking or turning at slow speeds. If stopped at a light with car on drive and brake on car stalls and turns off . The car always starts right up using normal ignition via key.

Any suggestions on cause are welcomed.

Thanks.

Check your electrical connections

Howdy - I would start out by checking all the electrical connections of the stuff you lately installed. You might have a loose connection or an ignition wire that's getting grounded. I am assuming that the car didn't die before you worked on it - so, it's 99% chance that the problem is caused by something that you worked on. Check to make sure that the coil wire is all the way down into it's tower on the distributor cap. Just go back through everything you worked on and make sure that everything is like it should be - nothing incorrectly positioned, all connections tight, nothing able to be grounded, check for bad insulation on wires, etc. For the engine to die and then you be able to restart it immediately almost has to mean a temporary condition - like a wire that's flopping around when you brake or turn right. Hope that helps you out!!! BluesBrothersBuicks

It was doing the same before the tuneup, I thought the tune up would fix it. If i put the car in neutral at the lite it does not stall. Its only if its in drive and the brake is applied.

Thanks

Do you have a switch pitch transmission?

Don't know about the 66, but on the 65 model there is a microswitch on the accelerator link (not the big grey sliding swich), that puts the torque converter in High Stall mode when the car is idling, in order to reduce drag. If there is a problem with this switch, it'll be in low stall mode when idling in drive, increasing the drag, and lowering your idle rpm. Just a suggestion.

Regards
    pmettrup
    Member of BCD, Buick Club of Denmark
    Webmaster for www.coolcruisers.dk

You might want to check your fuel pressure, fuel filter? Pump might be clogged.

Stalling

You might want to look for a vacuum leak .

Well Watson it seems we have a mystery here

I have a 65 WIldcat with a 66 motor in it and I had the same problem, I checked the Vacuum lines , I replaced all of them ... problem solved.....now what I should have done was check after each replacement to see if that was the problem but I didn't. I just went ahead and replaced all of the lines to be on the safe side.
    The other thing is are you running stock points? If so you might want to check the points and base plate, if the are loose either one could be a cause also.
    Good luck

Hi, I have the same issue on my 67' lark with a SP300 tranny, after tune up and timing, my three suspects are: microswitch on throttle linkage or related solenoid in tranny case and vacuum leaks/vacuum modulator on tranny....
    I will tell you if have have the chance to erase the issue, please make the same !