- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 62 torque converter

62 torque converter

ok I pulled my engine and trans today in my 62 lesabre 401/dynaflow. When I pulled the dyna off of the engine there was a metal acordian shaped spring laying on top of the input shaft. Looking inside the torque converter i see a couple more along with small metal plungers/dowel pins laying in the bottem . The car seamed to shift and drive fine it just leaked oil out of both ends. Is there an easy cheap fix to this or am I screwed?
    I also have a fresh 700r4 with a shift kit laying around, I am thinking the adapter will be cheaper then whatever all those lose parts are going to cost me.
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

Sounds like parts of the sprag clutch that is in the converter ... you could take the converter to a trans . Shop and have them rebuild it . HTH
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

i found the adapter but unfortunatly it is not cheaper
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

Thumbs up

I just got a quote from the tranny shop 1800.00 to rebuild my transe and converter back to the conversion kit. Has anyone done this

You don't necessarily need a conversion kit unless you want a more modern or overdrive transmission. A '64-'66 ST400 or TH400 from a "NailHead" will be a bolt-in. You will need the "400" flexplate, an adapter for the rear of the crank, modification to the crossmember (or one from the donor car for the trans.) linkage mods, column shifter mods for PRNDL, or use a console from a '64-'65 Riv with the corresponding shifter, the wiring & switch for the '64 kickdown or the wiring & "Switches" for the kickdown & switch pitch features. These can all be removed from a donor car. And, last but not least, the driveshaft yoke for the rear of the trans. "Good" '64-'66 front driveshaft yokes are becoming harder to find. The option here is to use the short tailhousing of a newer TH400 with the larger seal & bushing & corresponding yoke which are still available new.

Tom

Hey tom sounds good but any idea where to find one in se michigan nw ohio area. I am afraid a small block chevy is going to find its way into my car because right now it is my only affordable option.

Sorry Len, since I am in Ct. & your in Mi. I can't help you on that part. There are plenty of Buick members who live in Mi. on this & other boards. I'm sure someone out there has something they would be willing to part with. Start visiting swap meets, salvage yards, recycling yards, etc. If you find a full size '64-'66 Buick or Riv. they will have just about all you need to convert. You may have to buy the whole car, but the good side is will will have many of the parts. After you are done you can scrap the car & retrieve a few dollars back.

Tom

I found a guy close to me that calls himself RIVIERA BOB. He says he has a few transmissions for me, He also told me that a 64 is a 2speed and a 65 is a 3speed both of which are supposedly 400's. Does this make sense to anyone? If so which one is better?

He can't be any kind of expert on TH400's as all who really know anything & what they are talking about knows that the 1st. year TH400 was NOT a 2 speed trans. but a 3 speed just like any other TH400 out there. It just didn't have 3 forward positions on the gearshift. It only had two. D&L, but it is a 3 speed. They got away from it for a variety of reasons.

Tom T.